How do websites obtain the time of fundamental announcements?

I am wondering how and where many forex sites like forexfactory.com get the date/times of news releases. I'm assuming it's all automated, and the forex calender isn't updated manually. Is it also possible to retrieve the time and news releases to my own server?

Do you mean the news results or the date and time of its release?

For most (all?) news items on forexfactory they say the release website. So I guess it's possible to get your EA to check each website but they have no guarantees of keeping the same format forever.

alladir:

Do you mean the news results or the date and time of its release?

Preferably both. I want to create an EA that closes positions around the news, but in order to do that, I need to get the times of news releases. I can manually adjust my EA, but it would have to be everyday. I want the EA to automatically update according to a database (ex. mysql database).

Wow, I don't know why this has come up 3 times this week already (its still in my clipboard).. but every Sunday forexfactory make this http://cdn.forexfactory.com/ffcal_week_this.xml

It's an XML of their calendar with all the weeks events. If you can parse it correctly, you can load up all the datetimes of the events that will affect your currency.

Maybe this means you're putting a lot of trust in ForexFactory, but if you can program this effectively, then it's a step towards looking at each governments individual website to do the same thing.

At the moment I do this but not with MQL. I use Excel's VBA to download the file and turn it into a .CSV for MT4 to read. But I know that there are news indicators that do everything within MT4. I'd be interested in working together with anyone hoping to achieve the same.