Time series question

Hi All

What causes a new H1 bar to commence? Is it (a) a change in server time hour, (b) the arrival of the first tick for any pair after the server time hour has changed (c) something else?

I guess I want to know whether, if I had a H1 chart open and on display for every available pair, would they all show a new bar at the same time, regardless of which of them were affected by ticks? 

onedognight:

Hi All

What causes a new H1 bar to commence? Is it (a) a change in server time hour, (b) the arrival of the first tick for any pair after the server time hour has changed (c) something else?

I guess I want to know whether, if I had a H1 chart open and on display for every available pair, would they all show a new bar at the same time, regardless of which of them were affected by ticks? 

No.

A new H1 (or any other timeframe) bar is opened when a new tick arrives at/after the time the bar was due to start for the Symbol concerned. 

onedognight:

Hi All

OK - conflicting answers. I favor the second because, if the first were true then either a symbol could possibly have a missing period or the calendars could get briefly out of sync across symbols.

onedognight: (b) the arrival of the first tick for the pair after the server time hour has changed
No conflict. (b) agrees with RaptorUK and myself. If there is no tick, there is no new bar. M1 charts have missing bars frequently during low volume times.

WHRoeder:
No conflict. (b) agrees with RaptorUK and myself. If there is no tick, there is no new bar. M1 charts have missing bars frequently during low volume times.

Got you. Thanks for the answers.