Getting MT4 to work in a public place

Hi guys, this is a long shot, a very very very long shot but I need help.

I'm trying to run MT4 on my laptop from a public library (Hong Kong) but it seems I can't.

When I use the free wifi, I can get data for the first few minutes then no more. I can keep restarting MT4 to get data.

I thought that I could connect using a LAN cable since I know they can block certain websites etc.. but alas I don't even get any data going through "no connection"

Well that's it really. I just want MT4 to work as I can't work at home and there isn't any other places other than to rent a place etc...

Anyone know of any solutions to this? Maybe a workaround software, I dunno ...

Seriously if this gets solved then I WILL RUN NAKED OUTSIDE FOR 5 MINUTES!

Buy a mobile/cell phone USB dongle and pay for your Internet connectivity.

petemql4:
When I use the free wifi, I can get data for the first few minutes then no more. I can keep restarting MT4 to get data.
  1. Don't be a cheap scate. pay for your net access.
  2. When Mt4 stops getting data and shows 'no connection' do you still have connectivity? no-networking problem yes-try another broker.
  3. did you install in \program files* on Vista/Win7

RaptorUK:
Buy a mobile/cell phone USB dongle and pay for your Internet connectivity.

Hi Raptor,

I like to but if I'm live trading, is that secure (and reliable)?

Hi there,

You got it in one, I'm a cheap skate! :) But the public library provides internet as a free service, it seems a little silly to pay extra.

Yes, I still can surf the internet, even on LAN and wifi. I've only experienced "no connection" with MT4 software (I've tried lots of different brokers MT4 and still no). I just tried connecting to my broker data entry software and it looks like it is not allowing me to connect to them also. Then I tried my bittorrent client and no data is getting through.

And no I didn't install in the default directory \program files. I have Windows 7 64 bit. Would it help if I did?

It seems to me that this public network doesn't allow software which requires constant data streaming. I may be wrong here, I'm not that technical. If that is the case, then I'm not sure what I can do to solve this.

WHRoeder:
  1. Don't be a cheap scate. pay for your net access.
  2. When Mt4 stops getting data and shows 'no connection' do you still have connectivity? no-networking problem yes-try another broker.
  3. did you install in \program files* on Vista/Win7

Interesting.

Just now, I tried to run MT4, my broker data entry software and bittorent software on the wifi.

For some reason it worked for a longer period than usual (from 1 minute to maybe 10 minutes). Then all of a sudden, no data going to them. I can still use the internet though minus some blocked sites.

Confirms to me somehow blocking data somehow.

petemql4:

Hi Raptor,

I like to but if I'm live trading, is that secure (and reliable)?

It's probably a lot more secure than a public WiFi.

petemql4:

Interesting.

Just now, I tried to run MT4, my broker data entry software and bittorent software on the wifi.

For some reason it worked for a longer period than usual (from 1 minute to maybe 10 minutes). Then all of a sudden, no data going to them. I can still use the internet though minus some blocked sites.

Confirms to me somehow blocking data somehow.

Don't use Bittorrent and similarly heavy networking applications on other people's wifi networks. If it were my wifi I would block you for this.

I agree which is why I want to use the LAN
RaptorUK:
It's probably a lot more secure than a public WiFi.

Yes, I agree. If it was my wifi then of course I would too.

My original query was for MT4 to work, which I don't think is heavy.

But data in MT4 is constantly streaming so my guess it falls into same category as bittorrent apps etc...

So there's probably no solution to this... :(

7bit:

Don't use Bittorrent and similarly heavy networking applications on other people's wifi networks. If it were my wifi I would block you for this.