Why does my EA work ONLY in EUR/USD 1 Min chart?

I am new to the EA community.

After months of learning and coding, I finished an EA and backtested it, but it only works for EUR/USD 1 min chart, which generates about 70% return from Aug 23, 2011 till today.

But I tried it in 1 min chart of GBP/USD with a break-even and 1 min chart of AUD/USD with a whopping 30% loss. I am concerned that the program is not stable since it produces dramatically different result.

If you have time to read my program, I will email it to you.

Can anyone help me with

1. How can I improve my EA. So far, by adding conditions I have decreased the continuous losses?

2. How do I improve coding with MQL4 if I don't have too much C++ background? All I learned so far is from the online book.

3. I tried adding "trailing stops" and "conditional order close" to my chart but it causes great loss. Why is that?

I know you guys are much more experienced and I appreciate any help!

EUR/USD 1 Min chart testing

GBP/USD 1 min chart testing

AUD/USD 1 min chart testing

Hi ChengForex,

1. How can I improve my EA. So far, by adding conditions I have decreased the continuous losses?

This depends to your trading strategy. Post your code / tell about the strategy you trade and people can share their ideas with you.

2. How do I improve coding with MQL4 if I don't have too much C++ background? All I learned so far is from the online book.

I read the book and started programming EA, same like you. When I take a look on my first attemtps, I can say I improved my skills a lot. Try out to form every new idea about a trading strategy into an EA. Study this forum, learn from the EA-code of more experienced programmers.

3. I tried adding "trailing stops" and "conditional order close" to my chart but it causes great loss. Why is that?

Backtest your EA in visuell modus and take a look at the chart. You will see why it costs profit when you leave the market not well timed.

Greetings, APeng.

> I read the book and started programming EA

Thats a pointer right there - you must start with a sound strategy, test it, prove it, then code it..

Most strategies require either a deliberate market or the opposite - see the topic here

-BB-

ChengForex:

I am new to the EA community.

After months of learning and coding, I finished an EA and backtested it, but it only works for EUR/USD 1 min chart, which generates about 70% return from Aug 23, 2011 till today.

But I tried it in 1 min chart of GBP/USD with a break-even and 1 min chart of AUD/USD with a whopping 30% loss. I am concerned that the program is not stable since it produces dramatically different result.

You tested on EU on every tick but on GU and AU on Control Points . . . . why ? Also, IMO, 1 month is not enough . . .

I agree 1 month is not a long enough test, if you get a good result over a 1 month test, the next step is to run the same test over a few different 1 month periods