Different Values for standard Stochastic Oscillator indicator and iStochastic function with same parameters

If I place the standard Stochatic Oscillator indicator directly onto a chart with a 17,5,3 using LWMA mode with CLOSE price I get the base and signal plotting just fine.

If I use an in-code call to iStochastic using EXACTLY the same parameters to plot what should be the same data - I get different values.

Attached is a screenshot showing the standard Stochastic Oscillator indicator in window 1 and the iStochastic in-code call plots in window 2. The settings are 17,5,3 using MODE_LWMA and PRICE_CLOSE. Even a cursory glance at the two plots show a number of obvious differences, but just check the current bar's values for each as shown in the upper left hand corner of each of the windows.

I have also attached the code used to plot the iStochastic.

Why do what should be identical methods of plotting the same curve using the same data yield different results?

//+------------------------------------------------------------------+
//| //| iStochastic Plot

#property indicator_separate_window
#property indicator_buffers 2
#property indicator_color1 DarkTurquoise
#property indicator_color2 MediumSpringGreen

extern int k_param = 17;
extern int d_param = 5;
extern int slowing_param = 3;
//---- input parameters

//---- buffers
double val1[];
double val2[];

//| Custom indicator initialization function                         |
int init()
  {
//---- indicator line
   IndicatorBuffers(3);
   SetIndexStyle(0,DRAW_LINE,0,0);
   SetIndexStyle(1,DRAW_LINE,STYLE_DOT,0);
   SetIndexBuffer(0,val1);
   SetIndexBuffer(1,val2);

//----
   return(0);
  }

int deinit()
  { 

//----
   return(0);
  }

//| ASCTrend1sig                                                     |
int start()
  {

SetIndexDrawBegin(0,1);
   SetIndexDrawBegin(1,1);

if(Bars<=10) return(0);
   int ExtCountedBars=IndicatorCounted();
//---- check for possible errors
   if (ExtCountedBars<0) return(-1);
//---- last counted bar will be recounted
   if (ExtCountedBars>0) ExtCountedBars--;
   int pos=Bars-ExtCountedBars;

while(pos>=0)
     {

val1[pos] = iStochastic(NULL,0,k_param,d_param,slowing_param,MODE_LWMA,PRICE_CLOSE,0,pos);
     val2[pos] = iStochastic(NULL,0,k_param,d_param,slowing_param,MODE_LWMA,PRICE_CLOSE,1,pos);

pos--;

}

return(0);
  }

I'm guessing either accuracy is not that big a deal with most chartist traders or nobody uses Stochastics. LOL.

If I ever find the answer I'll be sure to come back here and let all you interested parties know.

Well the last 2 days people were shouting "stochastic" and "williams" here so it started to interest me enough to check it out on the charts. Seems both are totally awesome tools for finding the "overbought" or "oversold" signals in trending charts, so I'd love to know what you find out.

I also apologise for hijacking your thread a bit, but I would like to find out from somebdy who tried both what his experience told him using these indicators.

Cheers o/

CodeJunkie69:

I'm guessing either accuracy is not that big a deal with most chartist traders or nobody uses Stochastics. LOL.

If I ever find the answer I'll be sure to come back here and let all you interested parties know.

Hi,

I'm quite new to mt4 myself.

just on a side note - not sure why you use once 2 and the other time 3 indicator buffers.

#property indicator_buffers 2

int init()
  {
//---- indicator line
   IndicatorBuffers(3);

Anyway: I use a lot of 'stochastic' and will writing a new Multi Timeframe one.

CodeJunkie69 seems that your example plots ok. put uses: Low/High

I guess the problem must be with https://docs.mql4.com/indicators/iStochastic

price_field - Price field parameter. Can be one of this values: 0 - Low/High or 1 - Close/Close.

You use:

PRICE_CLOSE

Try using 1

val1[pos] = iStochastic(NULL,0,k_param,d_param,slowing_param,MODE_LWMA,1,0,pos);

val2[pos] = iStochastic(NULL,0,k_param,d_param,slowing_param,MODE_LWMA,1,1,pos);

cheers

MJ

Anyway: I use a lot of 'stochastic' and will writing a new Multi Timeframe one.
Interesting idea, I like it :) Would you mind letting us know what you find?

forexCoder:
Interesting idea, I like it :) Would you mind letting us know what you find?

hi forexCoder,

MTF - Stochastic: I guess you might be interested in 'Spud's Predictive MTF Stochastic'. http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=119483

This is great reading! Thanks!

This one confused me for ages too! It's an example of guessing how MT4 should be rather than reading the documentation carefully. It would have been possible for the developers to have written iStochastic using the standard price constants used elsewhere, but they did not. In fact they did not even use a subset of them. But no excuses, the documentation is accurate.