what is best hardware & setup to run multi EA's and MT4

Hope one of the computer savvy forum members might help me with this.

I want to upgrade an old laptop to something (a desk top PC) that I can run multiple EA's and versions of MetaTrader 4 on.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it more effective to run multiple EA's (all within one version of metatrader but attached to different charts) or multiple versions of metatrader each containing a single EA?

2. Secondly, is there a preferred hardware option for running multiple EA's and versions of MetaTrader? (excuse the question but have read snippets about single core v multicore, 32 bitt v 64 bitt and would like to make an informed decision)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

What do you mean by "more effective"?

Running multiple instances of MT4, each with only a single active EA, is the most effective way to avoid trade_context contention but it is the least effective way to minimize ram usage and internet bandwidth usage.

MT4 is a 32bit app, it cannot use more than 2GB of ram even if you have a 64bit CPU and a 64bit OS. But having a 64bit CPU and 64bit OS does enable you to have more than 4GB of addressable ram in the system which then enables you to have more instances of MT4 open at the same time before running into ram limitations (which is relevant if you are doing lots of backtesting).

1005phillip:

What do you mean by "more effective"?

Running multiple instances of MT4, each with only a single active EA, is the most effective way to avoid trade_context contention but it is the least effective way to minimize ram usage and internet bandwidth usage.

MT4 is a 32bit app, it cannot use more than 2GB of ram even if you have a 64bit CPU and a 64bit OS. But having a 64bit CPU and 64bit OS does enable you to have more than 4GB of addressable ram in the system which then enables you to have more instances of MT4 open at the same time before running into ram limitations (which is relevant if you are doing lots of backtesting).

thank you for the feedback, you have answered exactly what I wanted. When I said most effective, I was thinking about demands on the computer and execution of the the expert advisor.

Ultimately I want expert advisors to run smoothly, even if several EA's running at once. I actually had not thought about the trade context contention.

thanks again!