--> 2011 : SAME OLD SONG & LOOK ??!?!??!?

I just read 7bit's complaint here, so I thought I start this topic.  

The linear un-categorized form of this site makes it impossible for anyone to have any bearing to this site's past knowledge. 
Forum only gives use one tool for all purpose, the holy search box! And we have to keep reminding newcomer to use them. I think it comes down to : Forum not having decent categories to scan subject/titles through.  

If the design of the forum's site would also allow a reminder of using SRC button when posting codes, then we could stop wasting time & energy on such a stupid thing. I just think the loss of potential collaborations, contributions & advancement of members here (noobs or regulars) because of the absence of such basic things are enormous.  

Now we're nearing 2011. I personally think we could use some changes...  So for the sake of discussion, what do you guys think if, hypothetically of course, mql4.com site uses something they don't code themselves like those vbulletin license site template. Would forum be better? I'd be interested in what moderator thinks as well of course. 

The new MT5 forum (not MetaQuotes related I suppose) uses them & it ain't half bad. After all, isn't the growth of MT4 knowledge and user base is more important for their business than keeping the 'traditional look of this site... 

cameo 

cameofx:

I just read 7bit's complaint here, so I thought I start this topic.

The linear un-categorized form of this site makes it impossible for anyone to have any bearing to this site's past knowledge. Forum only gives use one tool for all purpose, the holy search box! And we have to keep reminding newcomer to use them. I think it comes down to : Forum not having decent categories to scan subject/titles through.

If the design of the forum's site would also allow a reminder of using SRC button when posting codes, then we could stop wasting time & energy on such a stupid thing. I just think the loss of potential collaborations, contributions & advancement of members here (noobs or regulars) because of the absence of such basic things are enormous.

Now we're nearing 2011. I personally think we could use some changes... So for the sake of discussion, what do you guys think if, hypothetically of course, mql4.com site uses something they don't code themselves like those vbulletin license site template. Would forum be better? I'd be interested in what moderator thinks as well of course.

The new MT5 forum (not MetaQuotes related I think) uses them & it ain't half bad. After all, isn't the growth of MT4 knowledge and user base is more important for their business than keeping the 'traditional look of this site...

cameo

The biggest things to change in my point of view are:

-Categories

-Usefull Stickys

-Maybe a postilimit for creating new threads.
(or at least a new user had to use 5 times the search function before he can create a new topic ;) )

cameofx:

[...] mql4.com site uses something they don't code themselves like those vbulletin license site template. Would forum be better? [...]

They will never do that for a very simple reason - the forums are a part of their product. They are integrated into the MetaEditor (both in MT4 and MT5)... So I doubt we'll ever see any change in that.

What this forum lacks is what the RU forum has - a ~1000 pages thread devoted to beginner's questions (see here -> https://www.mql5.com/ru/forum/111497). It's sort of a FAQ thread. Obviously a normal FAQ would be the best, but unfortunately posts older than 3 days cannot be edited any more... So that's not going to work.

zzuegg:

The biggest things to change in my point of view are:

-Categories

-Usefull Stickys

-Maybe a postilimit for creating new threads.
(or at least a new user had to use 5 times the search function before he can create a new topic ;) )

An Aye to that!

gordon:

They will never do that for a very simple reason - the forums are a part of their product. They are integrated into the MetaEditor (both in MT4 and MT5)... So I doubt we'll ever see any change in that.

What this forum lacks is what the RU forum has - a ~1000 pages thread devoted to beginner's questions (see here -> https://www.mql5.com/ru/forum/111497). It's sort of a FAQ thread. Obviously a normal FAQ would be the best, but unfortunately posts older than 3 days cannot be edited any more... So that's not going to work.

ha, i am now using the metaeditor for 2 years and up to now i never saw the online library button :D

zzuegg:
ha, i am now using the metaeditor for 2 years and up to now i never saw the online library button :D
Yap, it's all integrated - the different sections and search. In MT5 it's even more integrated.

gordon:
Yap, it's all integrated - the different sections and search. In MT5 it's even more integrated.

Yeah i saw it in mt5. its too hidden in mt4, not that this is a feature i need.

But the OP is right a few minor changes would increase the usability of this forum. A sticky with the hottest 4 topics would help a lot.

-ECN/STP Broker changes

-Point modifier

-Multiple Accounts

-How to read values from custom indicators

gordon:

A good point. That's why I said it's only hypothetical example :). I still can't see why they won't support user by giving a few changes/addition to forum...

Let's keep on dreaming for 2012. You never know ....

cameofx:
A good point. That's why I said it's only hypothetical example :). I still can't see why they won't support user by giving a few changes/addition to forum...

Because there is no competitor automated platform for our demographic of potential customers.

Comparable products, traderstation for example, are designed to target much more monied customers.

For people looking to play in forex with sub-$50k accounts, Metaquotes is about the only globally available game in town if algorithmic trading is your cup of tea.

With that in mind, capitalism being what it is, there's really no surprise that customer service oriented "opportunities for improvement" go largely ignored when offered up by the customer base.

Where's their motivation? What do they stand to lose by continuing to not offer the service you are suggesting/requesting? Nothing, that is nothing unless a competitor pops up and does offer that service as a distinguishing feature for customers.

Until then we are mere beggars, and beggars ought not be so choosy.

With so many users with 130 error trouble (OrderSend) I vote for a SUPER STICKY on that subject.

I mean, explain Digits and Points CLEARLY!!! ha ha ha h!!!