Differences between DEMO Account and REAL Account - page 2

gordon:

For consistent results in the Tester u need identical History Data and identical Market Properties (in the Tester -> press 'Symbol properties'...). If there are differences in either, then results will differ.

Regarding Demo vs Real - as wackena said there are technical differences between the two. But let me add that even if u run your EA on 2 Real accounts in 2 Terminals on the same computer, then you will still likely have subtle differences... There are several technical reasons for the differences - each Terminal will receive a slightly different Tick stream, each Terminal will experience slightly different latency/timing issues and for each Terminal the broker's server might behave differently when processing requests...

Do the vagueries of backtesting while logged in Demo necessarily apply to trading forward in Demo?

That is,

1) if I trade the same EA live alongside a demo account going FORWARD, will I then get the same results? Or are the ticks and market info and such still different.

2) If they are different going foward, then what is the point of the tester or the demo? In my case, (Question: Why do live vs demo accounts give different tester results?) the difference between backtesting while logged in as live vs demo, is profound, not close to being close.

I've already begun to transition to forward testing using live micro accounts and ignoring the tester. I just don't trust it at this point.

I wonder what others might think about this.

PS: Has anyone else had the experience of just rerunning the tester and getting different results? Forget live, demo etc. Everything the same. Just push the start button again and get another result? Maybe even a third? What's that about?

Lou

> PS: Has anyone else had the experience of just rerunning the tester and getting different results?

Sure - if you read Gordons post, the answers are there

Usual one is if the market is open the spread for that backtest is the current market spread, that varies (on most brokers)

> what is the point of the tester or the demo

To ensure all functions are working as expected and if its losing on demo, its not going to get better by going live...

-BB-

Yeah everything -BB- said. If you search the site you'll find more in-depth knowledge about this type of stuff. That's how most of us newbies got to know what's going on. Pay special attention to conversations including Gordon, CB, BB etc. Pretty much if there was a group of people who appear to know what they're talking about. There's also something called Latency or (Server Latency). Forgive me people if I even spelled it correctly.

Where this is going, well sometimes the broker have more than 1-server. I can see this totally being the case with Demo vs Live. The passage way of the data through cyber-space may sometimes cause delays. This delay can sometimes lead to gaps or broker re-quoits on live accounts. I've even heard people come in here yelling OMG, I ran the same program on the same Broker, for the same Live Account, on the same Pc on the same Time period and I was standing right there bright-eyed-bushy-tailed and got different results. And someone here had and answer as to why...lol.

Has anyone tried using different profiles with the same EA instead of using multiple instances with the EA?
Code profiling - Developing programs - MetaTrader 5
Code profiling - Developing programs - MetaTrader 5
  • www.metatrader5.com
Profiling means collecting program parameters during its execution. During a profiling, the execution time and the number of calls of individual functions and program code lines are measured. With this tool, the programmer is able to find and optimize the slowest code sections. Profiling can be performed on the normal chart of the trading...