MQL4 V Ninjascript

Hi, I`m new to the forum and am wondering if there are a few people here that have experience with both ninjascript and MQL4? If so can you please comment on which you think is best and why? As I`m interested in learning one or the other to be able to program my own automated trading strategies. I have no experience with any programing. I have been using some EA's in Meta trader 4 for a while, and have done some backtesting and optimising, but that's all. I also have experience as an intra day swing trader. Would love to create an automated strategy based on Gann swings.

Cheers,

Ken.

swinger318:

Hi, I`m new to the forum and am wondering if there are a few people here that have experience with both ninjascript and MQL4? If so can you please comment on which you think is best and why? As I`m interested in learning one or the other to be able to program my own automated trading strategies. I have no experience with any programing.

Not a question with a simple answer, and very much subject to personal views. In terms of the pure languages, I'd say that the C# implementation in NinjaTrader beats MQL4 and MQL5 in every regard except one: MQL4 is probably a flatter learning curve for beginners (though this very arguably isn't true of MQL5).

But that's only a small part of the picture. NinjaTrader and its brokers give you ready access to equities and futures as well as forex. MT4 is predominantly just a forex platform (albeit with patchy support for futures from some brokers). The counterparty risk from MT4 brokers is also generally higher than with brokers who support NinjaTrader.

On the opposing side, I still look back with huge fondness to the day when we ditched NinjaTrader. We never managed to get it to run for a whole week of automated trading without requiring manual intervention. Sometimes there would be multiple database corruptions (the main problem...) per day. And MT4 has a much lower resource footprint, and is much easier to replicate for disaster-recovery purposes. As far as I'm concerned, NinjaTrader is a good exoskeleton for human traders, but not a good or reliable platform for automated trading. Taking the simplest example, but one of the most important: there is no reliable way of automatically starting NinjaTrader (v6.5) and having it automatically connect to a broker.

Having said all that, the quality of the MQL4 language has very little to do with MT4's popularity.

I am on the same way.. Learning programming to code my ATS. However, i found NT has scarce resources relative to MT4. To find NT strategies so you could change/play with to learn is too much difficult than finding EA source codes. I am thinking to learn MQL4 first and then once i understand the essense of programming i could move to any other language. Would this be a sound plan?

My intention is to trade via C# either, NT, OpenQuant or Tradelink.. This is for trading but for learning, i see they are much difficult to start with.

What do you think

McGene