This whole thing is strange for a newbie like me - page 2

metalriff:
Programming is easy. Trading is hard.

Would you please help me, to code your Trading Strategy, if yours is secret, ok. Basic Trading Strategy. Buy at Lowest Pries, and Sell at Highest Prices, as Indicator give Signal Strong Trend use MaxLots, then Hold, till Indicator give Reverse Trend Signal, Stop all open order and Reverse. And do it, Loop again.

elsokros:

Hello, i'm a newbie and just wondering if i will ever get to learn how to use the EA,i downloaded the manual that was supposed to be the guide to the programming...2 minutes of reading and i was going to run mad...what is all this dots,hyphens and lines?????? please how do i start? i feel like i'm in Jupiter or something...someone please respond

elsokros

You have to be able to stand up and walk before you can run. Imagine listening to a person talking to you in an Eskimo dialect for two minutes and expecting to understand all the sentence, intonation and conversation :)

Every computer program is a language, so, like any language you can learn it and in time master it. You don't likely to converse in foreign language fluently by learning it only for a month - and coding, unlike human language, doesn't allow for 'flexibility'. It has to be precise, non-ambiguous and efficient - which is not a bad thing in my opinion. What I mean by this is, the code language itself can only be done one way : by the rules (so you only need to remember 1 syntax or 'grammar' for SetIndexStyle, 1 'grammar' for SetIndexBuffer, etc), now with that strict rules you can add your purpose, logic & creativity and do just about anything you need in MT4.

I started without having any programming bground too. MQL4 is my first ever programming language, you can taught yourself only if you have enough curiosity and willingness. Start simple and slowly learn from your mistakes ... start with displaying the value of TimeCurrent or Bars in comment for example (don't start with typing 'Hello world!' please :)), or changing property of Indicator from SetIndexStyle. If a line of code is working add 1 more and compile / test it. Add/change one by one so you can eliminate mistakes without frustration.

It's all about rules and logic. Give yourself 2 or 3months for understanding rules of the language - 6 months to code your own script and indies - and a year to create your EAs (you're not in a hurry right?). Do not mix up the order!!

Good luck,

Evan