Strategy back testing

Can somebody please tell me how to back test with the Strategy tester correctly? Every time it runs the test, it has zero results, zero trades. I downloaded the history files and set the expert key correctly (I believe). It doesn't give any recognizable errors in the journal. It runs the test, or so it seems, but makes no trades. Thanks.

stovedude:
Can somebody please tell me how to back test with the Strategy tester correctly? Every time it runs the test, it has zero results, zero trades. I downloaded the history files and set the expert key correctly (I believe). It doesn't give any recognizable errors in the journal. It runs the test, or so it seems, but makes no trades. Thanks.

There is a slight, barely visible error in your code. You believe it's all correct, that's why you think it's the tester's fault.

"There is a slight, barely visible error in your code. You believe it's all correct, that's why you think it's the tester's fault."

well said...

the EA does exactly what code is there - not what one thinks it should do. zero trades = zero reasons for system to accept your requests to trade OR are your actually sure that your trade ops are getting executed? and carrying on from this idea, another for you...

idea:

why not put some Print()'s into the code. For starters: just what is it passing to OrderSend() ?

not to forget to print out all digits of a double cuz Print() defaults to 4 decimal digits unless you use say DoubleToStr()

eg, what is execution path?

what is the data driving code down that path?

what data is code passing to Client Terminal?

idea:

consider desk checking

- pencil + paper = identifier memory... makes light work of playing cpu ;)

- play cpu, is easy method to just leave one's preconceptions about how code should work and actually get a grip on the realities from the cpu's perspective!

just some more random ideas that maybe help...

TheEconomist wrote >>

There is a slight, barely visible error in your code. You believe it's all correct, that's why you think it's the tester's fault.

Actually, I didn't write any code for this. I'm using the tools already included in MT4. It seems to run, but no results happen. Any ideas or settings that I'm missing somewhere?

This sort of thing can happend for many reasons.

-The EA settings are wrong

-You're running a '4digit' EA on a '5digit' broker (in this case you could try multiplying all pip settings by 10)

-EA could be locked.

-Many other reasons....