where does the output from an EA or script go?

I've tried looking for the answer to this but could not find it.

When I use a Print statement in an EA or script, where can I see that output once the code has been run? I'm inside I'm using FXDD and have looked in the Journals and Experts tab but can't see it. In the Metaquotes editor panel, there is a folder for "Logs" but there are not files or anything else in there.

Thanks.

Gomer

gomer wrote >>

I've tried looking for the answer to this but could not find it.

When I use a Print statement in an EA or script, where can I see that output once the code has been run? I'm inside I'm using FXDD and have looked in the Journals and Experts tab but can't see it. In the Metaquotes editor panel, there is a folder for "Logs" but there are not files or anything else in there.

Thanks.

Gomer

Open the Experts or Journal Tabs and right click in them, you should get a pop up menu with Open as an option that will open to logs. If there is nothing there your ea probably hasn't executed anything or your print statement hasn't been executed. To determine if the Ea is doing anything load it into tester and check the tester Journal for output, it may be that the conditions for your ea to do something in real time haven't been met.

good luck

Keith

Prints also go to /experts/logs

Keith, phy, thanks for your responses. I understand a bit more but I'm not seeing yet what I need to.

I know my program is running and here is why. I am running my EA as a script (it runs just once instead of every tick as phy explained in another thread). The script is successful because on the trade tab, I see the orders executed as it is supposed to. At the start of the script, I have this statement:

Print("start of job");

When you both posted to this thread, I looked inside:

/fxdd/experts/logs

and also the log file from the journal ( /fxdd/logs )

Both of these files did contain logs but they were old logs, I think from when I first installed FXDD. I did not see the output from my Print statement. I deleted the logs, shutdown FXDD and restarted making sure permissions on the folder would permit writing.

No new logs were created. I know my script ran as I see my orders in the trade panel and also entries in the Journal tab. I just don't see any logs by either method that has been suggested.

Is it perhaps because I'm running a script versus an EA? Do Print's from scripts also go there?

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Gomer

I want to give another update on this. I am seeing the output I need now in /fxxdd/experts/logs . I believe I was not initially seeing this because of some file permission issues between the administrator and non-adminstrator users. Thanks Keith, phy for your help.