When does using computer code of another considered a derivative work protected by copyright.

Many of the programs displayed on this site have copyright designations. To what extent can one use this code for his or her own use? When a displayed program has a copyright symbol in it, can one copy and modify a subroutine and consider it his or her own? What types of activites are protected by the copyright.

fwiw, think got pretty clear choice.

1. get on with the job at hand

2. worry about copyright notice on code that is obviously there for use and abuse of site visitors

coders put their 'masterpiece' source code on site... wat u expect other than 1 ?

if coders worry bout copyright then should not publish source code - is life fact, people see code, gonna use it...

anyway, u really think anyone 'know' u use freely given/published code?

i not see as moral thing - not like as if u take .ex4 and reverse engineer... then, i say you bad and many say same (others? well, they wanna make usd's and not care how do it - is life fact ;)

source code is freely given/put onto site for others and by time most get done, code has been hacked to death anyway, so not resemble orig code ;)

i not use others code - by time understand and all that stuff, better off and safer too - just do myself, i have MY style of design,coding,naming,comments,....

bet many take 'ideas' - how else learn if not take ideas and hack about to make own...

bottom line, u got to make own call on your question, i think.

Best 2 u