what is a realistic goal of pips/month

I have tried to learn forex for years manually trading and had even taken several months of classes with FX Bootcamp.  I know there are a lot of falsely reported results by so called forex pros and I am always skeptical of their claimed results.  Now that I am trying to learn automated trading, I am curious how realistic is it to produce a profitable algorithm.  I read an article in this forum stating that you have to do a lot of homework regarding purchasing any of the EAs on this site because the vendor is probably showing only the best case scenario.
Money-Making Algorithms Employing Trailing Stop
Money-Making Algorithms Employing Trailing Stop
  • Гребенев Вячеслав
  • www.mql5.com
This article's objective is to study profitability of algorithms with different entries into trades and exits using trailing stop. Entry types to be used are random entry and reverse entry. Stop orders to be used are trailing stop and trailing take. The article demonstrates money-making algorithms with a profitability of about 30% per annum.

There is no right answer on this. You should try to think different. Don't think about pips, think about return of investment (also known as Roi) which always is in percentage.

Lets say Yearly returns:

In stock market you should be extremely happy if can get safely 10% yield annually or monthly 0.83%. (so put in 100 get out 110 at end of year)

For me forex high volatility and leverage signals me that I can loose my investment very fast. So for me I would only go live if my strategy give 100% return at the end of the year. Off course you have to manage risk.

I would say, If your strategy can make 1% return every month without any risk, you will die very wealthy.

You can calculate your returns % this way:    (Net Profit/starting balance)*100

Have fun!

jshumaker:
I have tried to learn forex for years manually trading and had even taken several months of classes with FX Bootcamp.  I know there are a lot of falsely reported results by so called forex pros and I am always skeptical of their claimed results.  Now that I am trying to learn automated trading, I am curious how realistic is it to produce a profitable algorithm.  I read an article in this forum stating that you have to do a lot of homework regarding purchasing any of the EAs on this site because the vendor is probably showing only the best case scenario.
The standard for profitable investment is when the return of investment is equal or bigger than current and projected inflation rate in your country. 

I've heard somewhere: 10 pips/day are enough to be Bill Gates/5 years!

This is the answer of the title of the post.

The body of the post very different:

If you mean: Does the automated trading better than the manual?

Sure! No close-the-order phobia anymore.

If you mean: Do the vendors of EAs able to hide the real results by showing good tests?

Yes - Optimization in backtest can do that. But forward results always 100% true.

If you mean something else please tell me.

codersguru:

I've heard somewhere: 10 pips/day are enough to be Bill Gates/5 years!

This is the answer of the title of the post.

The body of the post very different:

If you mean: Does the automated trading better than the manual?

Sure! No close-the-order phobia anymore.

If you mean: Do the vendors of EAs able to hide the real results by showing good tests?

Yes - Optimization in backtest can do that. But forward results always 100% true.

If you mean something else please tell me.

When I took the FX Bootcamp classes, one of the instructors was saying a pro trader could bring in up to 100 pips/day.  Some of the ATC results I have viewed do not even appear to match what they claimed in FX Bootcamp, but yet I felt FX Bootcamp provided a good education.

As for automated vs. manual trading, I have just gotten started and just because of the close-the-order phobia you mentioned I am quite certain that automated trading is the better solution

I guess the answer that I was searching for is the % of returns that CeleronS mentioned because I do not want to waste my time chasing unrealistic goals.

I think you should worry more about the process of trading and not on profits and loses.

15 pips/day 

important is we have a good strategy , so sometime one person have concern how many pips in month, no pip/day