Discussion of article "Interview with Andrei Moraru (ATC 2011)"

New article Interview with Andrei Moraru (ATC 2011) is published:

Ukrainian programmer Andrei Moraru (enivid) is an active participant of the Automated Trading Championship beginning from 2007. Andrei had already come in our view at that time and now we have decided to find out if there occured any changes in his attitude towards trading and selection of trading strategies for the past four years, and also to know about his new Expert Advisor.

Did you have any difficulties in switching to MQL5? How easy (or difficult) did it prove to be for studying?

Of course, there were some difficulties at first because of some fundamental differences but I can't say MQL5 is too complicated to study. Most probably, it is complicated in usage as you have to remember a lot of things during the process of development. And neither the language, nor the development environment can ease this process сonsiderably.

What can a trader gain from such a competition in your opinion? Experience? Valuable ideas and observations?

Before the Championship traders can obtain an extreme programming experience, as the requirements are very tough and not all of them are clearly indicated in the rules. Participants have only one month when the Expert Advisors pass automatic tests before the Championship to make some improvements or to add something. The most interesting thing during the Championship is communication with other participants and analysis of their Expert Advisors. After the Championship is finished it is high time to analyze successful and unsuccessful strategies. For instance, it is always interesting to know the fate of the Expert Advisors who had been leaders the first week but failed to win.

Personally I rediscovered at least two ideas for myself during this Championship. Firstly, I underestimated the power of pyramiding (increasing a position size) but now I see that many successful Expert Advisors use this advantage.

Secondly, the method of VNIK who was in the lead not so long time ago seems quite interesting for me. The implementation of different strategies for various market situations is not a new idea but somehow it has seemed to me that you cannot arrange an efficient switching between them. I must have been mistaken in this respect.

Andrei Moraru (enivid)

Author: Automated-Trading

Reason: