Single core vs Multi core for MT4

Hello
I've used mainly MT5s and recently started to use several MT4s. However they are very slow. I asked the VPS provider and they answered as follows. Is it true? We need to use multiple single core servers instead of one big server?

--- the answer from VPS provider ---
For MT4, studies have found that it's running best on single cores, so if you purely uses MT4, 2x HS-1(single core plan) would actually perform a task better than HS-2(2 cores plan). So it might be better to take multiple servers instead of just one big server, as MT4 is very inefficient in optimizing multiple threads (being a 32 bits software).

Mitsuru:
Hello
I've used mainly MT5s and recently started to use several MT4s. However they are very slow. I asked the VPS provider and they answered as follows. Is it true? We need to use multiple single core servers instead of one big server?

--- the answer from VPS provider ---
For MT4, studies have found that it's running best on single cores, so if you purely uses MT4, 2x HS-1(single core plan) would actually perform a task better than HS-2(2 cores plan). So it might be better to take multiple servers instead of just one big server, as MT4 is very inefficient in optimizing multiple threads (being a 32 bits software).

It's true that MetaTrader 4 (MT4) is an older platform and was primarily designed to run efficiently on single-core processors. MT4's architecture and design mean that it may not fully leverage the benefits of multiple cores, especially in terms of threading and parallel processing. Because MT4 is a 32-bit software and was not designed with modern multi-threading optimizations in mind, it may not perform as well on multi-core systems as some other software that is optimized for parallel processing. In light of the above points, the VPS provider suggests that instead of opting for a single high-core-count server (like HS-2 with 2 cores), you might get better performance by using multiple single-core servers (like 2x HS-1). This approach aligns with MT4's design and might provide better performance due to the platform's limitations with multi-threading.

While using multiple single-core servers might offer better performance for MT4, it's essential to consider other factors such as cost, resource management, and ease of maintenance. Managing multiple servers can add complexity compared to a single server solution. Additionally, if you're using other software alongside MT4 that benefits from multi-core processing, the decision might need to be reconsidered. It's crucial to evaluate the performance of your setup through testing. This involves comparing the performance of different server configurations (single-core vs. multi-core) under realistic trading conditions to determine which setup provides the best results for your specific needs.

So, Ultimately, while MT4 may perform better on single-core systems, the decision on server configuration should consider various factors, including performance requirements, cost, and ease of management.

Nardus Van Staden #:

So, Ultimately, while MT4 may perform better on single-core systems, the decision on server configuration should consider various factors, including performance requirements, cost, and ease of management.

I see. Understood. Thank you for your comments.