Multiple accounts on MT5

Hi there, 

Apologies in advance for the novice questions.

I'm using MT5 and have demo accounts set up.

Can I run more than one trading/demo account in a single MT5?

When I add a new demo account (for example, to test a new EA on a separate account and new charts), the EA will always load into the previously active demo account and muck everything up.

Do I need to set up multiple MT5 accounts, or is there a step by step I need to follow when adding other trading accounts and EAs into MT5?

Thank you.

Inside single MT5 terminal, you can have as many accounts as you want, BUT it is only ONE ACTIVE trading account that can be selected at a time.

To use many accounts at the same time, you might want to learn about running MT5 in "portable mode".
You need to install as many MT5 as you need for each account.

https://www.metatrader5.com/en/terminal/help/start_advanced/start

- install MT5 into any folder
- start MT5 using /portable (Under Windows you can create shortcut to terminal64.exe and add the /portable in the shortcut properties)

terminal64.exe /portable
Platform Start - For Advanced Users - Getting Started - MetaTrader 5 Help
  • www.metatrader5.com
After installation, a group of programs of the trading platform is added to the Start menu, and the program shortcut is created on the desktop. Use...

tianmei09:

Hi there, 

Apologies in advance for the novice questions.

I'm using MT5 and have demo accounts set up.

Can I run more than one trading/demo account in a single MT5?

When I add a new demo account (for example, to test a new EA on a separate account and new charts), the EA will always load into the previously active demo account and muck everything up.

Do I need to set up multiple MT5 accounts, or is there a step by step I need to follow when adding other trading accounts and EAs into MT5?

Thank you.

To run another account at the same time you need to create an instance of Metatrader. 

I had to do this and I only duplicate the MetaTrader 5 folder in program files.

Soewono Effendi #:
Inside single MT5 terminal, you can have as many accounts as you want, BUT it is only ONE ACTIVE trading account that can be selected at a time.

To use many accounts at the same time, you might want to learn about running MT5 in "portable mode".
You need to install as many MT5 as you need for each account.

https://www.metatrader5.com/en/terminal/help/start_advanced/start

- install MT5 into any folder
- start MT5 using /portable (Under Windows you can create shortcut to terminal64.exe and add the /portable in the shortcut properties)

Thank you very much for the reply. I will look at this option. Is this what most people would do to run mutliple accounts and EAs? 

Julien Gael Alain Lecamp #:

To run another account at the same time you need to create an instance of Metatrader. 

I had to do this and I only duplicate the MetaTrader 5 folder in program files.

Thank you for the reply!