Ideal Hardware for Optimization? => New Mini-PC's vs Older Used Xeon Servers (also AMD vs Intel)

Hello I was wondering what the best hardware setup was for optimization using a core-farm?

The options would be buying a series of new mini-pcs... 8-cores each with 32-64gb RAM each...about 3ghz new-generation processors. Getting 2-4 of them...

Or buying a couple 5-10 year old used rack servers or workstations with dual-xeons, about 2.6ghz, 16-32 cores... 128gb-256gb RAM

Assuming the number of cores and RAM is the same (multiple Minis in series, or 1-2 rack servers) would one perform better?

Either option will use fast SSD hardrives....

I've been told the new-generation processors in the minis will out-perform an old used Xeon servers...and I know the workstations/racks potentially use a bit more energy consumption.

Also, for the new-generation processors, is there any agreement that AMD or Intel works better for MT5 optimization? Like the new AMD Ryzens vs the Intel i7-i9? Again, all else being equal (# of cores, processor speed)....  My main worry with this is intel uses "performance cores" then "efficiency cores"... Whereas AMD is all 'normal' cores... But im not sure how much this affects MT5 optimization.

I would like to avoid having to buy things and do side-by-side tests and returning items for a refund...

Does anyone have insight into this?

Thank you so much!!

MitchKleids11:

Hello I was wondering what the best hardware setup was for optimization using a core-farm?

The options would be buying a series of new mini-pcs... 8-cores each with 32-64gb RAM each...about 3ghz new-generation processors. Getting 2-4 of them...

Or buying a couple 5-10 year old used rack servers or workstations with dual-xeons, about 2.6ghz, 16-32 cores... 128gb-256gb RAM

Assuming the number of cores and RAM is the same (multiple Minis in series, or 1-2 rack servers) would one perform better?

Either option will use fast SSD hardrives....

I've been told the new-generation processors in the minis will out-perform an old used Xeon servers...and I know the workstations/racks potentially use a bit more energy consumption.

Also, for the new-generation processors, is there any agreement that AMD or Intel works better for MT5 optimization? Like the new AMD Ryzens vs the Intel i7-i9? Again, all else being equal (# of cores, processor speed)....  My main worry with this is intel uses "performance cores" then "efficiency cores"... Whereas AMD is all 'normal' cores... But im not sure how much this affects MT5 optimization.

I would like to avoid having to buy things and do side-by-side tests and returning items for a refund...

Does anyone have insight into this?

Thank you so much!!

I suggest going with modern hardware, servers use a lot more energy, and are loud.

For optimization, it is a tradeoff between speed of each core used, and cores available.

It strongly depends on how many parallel runs can be configured by the genetic algorithm, or your chosen parameters for optimization.

Let's say, you have 256 cores available and your parameter selection only allows 128 possibilities. Then you will only have 128 cores utilized. This is with "slow optimization"

In genetic mode, the generic algorithm will set up "populations" of a certain size, for every generation all "inhabitants" will be run on, each representing a single test.

So if the genetic algorithm is able to create enough "creatures" for all your cores, you will be better off with more cores.

Though, if you have not so many parameters in the selection, then faster cores will bring you forward faster.

As you can see, its not a "one fits all" situation, but specific to your tasks.

Generally, more cores and AMD Epic will probably be the better choice for your situation.

But, the more cores, the more memory you need. So, depending on your budget, it might be better to go for less but faster cores, thus Intel Xeon.