Terminal64.exe is crashing my new computer - Bad news and good news - page 5

Jeepack #:

Full hard drive formatting completed, windows 11 re-installed, hardware drivers updated/installed, MT5 installed from this site's link, EA's and indicators installed, logged into my broker's demo account, then after about 1 hour...

Blue screen OS crash with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error.

So taking PC to the shop tomorow, fingers crossed that that will be the end of it!

Good in only 1 hour you found out that there is a probably hardware issue on ram/motherboard/ssd.
Now they have to replace one by one and find out what is the cause.
There are no test for motherboards.
You would never exploited that.
What is the hardware configuration exactly.
I never seen a cpu fail.

Even I'm facing similar issue with MT5. After starting MT5 it works for like an hour an then the application suddenly crashes. In my case only MT5 crashes, no BSOD. All other application keep running smoothly. I need to keep starting MT5 again and again which is very annoying. I too can't see any crash logs related to this event which makes it really difficult to figure out what's causing the crash. Even downgrading the build didn't help. How can I take a dump of MT5 while the crash occurs? 

System config:

2023.08.01 15:57:54.306 Terminal        MetaTrader 5 x64 build 3815 started for MetaQuotes Software Corp.
2023.08.01 15:57:54.313 Terminal        Windows 10 build 19045, 4 x Intel Core i7-6600U  @ 2.60GHz, AVX, 14 / 31 Gb memory, 141 / 493 Gb disk, UAC, GMT+5

*** SOLVED *** ??

I was supposed to take the PC to the shop this morning but last night I was running more tests and checking my graphics card settings...

So I'm using an AMD Radeon RX 580 graphics card, and for the first time since I bought the PC I think, I checked the advanced settings under the "gaming / graphics" menu.

That where almost completely at the bottom of the list I found "GPU Workload" which is described as "Changes the tuning of memory parameters to better suit different types of workloads".

And guess what, it was set to "Graphics"... so I changed it to the only other option which is "Compute"... and now for the first time ever I've had no crashes on MT5 for about 10 hours (it would usually crash within 15 minutes to 2 hours).

So anyone who thought it was a memory issue was right, but it wasn't because the RAM was faulty, it was only because of an advanced setting on my graphics card being setup to render 3D graphics rather than compute regular code without error.

This is so simple and stupid, lol, but I have no experience with graphics cards being used to compute code so I didn't know such a setting existed.

Honestly, I'm not sure the shop would have figured it out, maybe but anyways I'm just glad the search is over.

Thanks for all the help, I hope someone else can solve their issues by reading this post as I bet a lot of people are trying to run MT5 on PCs using gaming graphics cards as a processor.

anubhavmeena #:

Even I'm facing similar issue with MT5. After starting MT5 it works for like an hour an then the application suddenly crashes. In my case only MT5 crashes, no BSOD. All other application keep running smoothly. I need to keep starting MT5 again and again which is very annoying. I too can't see any crash logs related to this event which makes it really difficult to figure out what's causing the crash. Even downgrading the build didn't help. How can I take a dump of MT5 while the crash occurs? 

System config:

Gianluca Bonfanti #:
Good in only 1 hour you found out that there is a probably hardware issue on ram/motherboard/ssd.
Now they have to replace one by one and find out what is the cause.
There are no test for motherboards.
You would never exploited that.
What is the hardware configuration exactly.
I never seen a cpu fail.
check my previous reply, I think I just solved the problem :)

Jeepack #:
I am not convinced the problem is solved, honestly. It is just not showing up anymore, because some setting has changed.

Granted, it wasn't faulty RAM, but I am suspicious now.

Could you check your BIOS version is up to date, as well as for the GPU as for the Mainboard?

And are your memory sticks actually within specs of your CPU? I mean, is it a known to work combination?

I still suspect, something is not quite right here.

The main difference your changed option did, was changing the memory configuration settings applied. And therefore altering the connection between GPU memory and CPU memory.

This was introduced in 2017+- by AMD to overcome a memory limit on mining software.

The exact workings are up to now unknown, but they integrated two drivers into one and introduced this switch. Back then, they offered a special mining driver which had different parameters on memory and GPU core, but later they unified it into crimson 17 and up.

Except if you have any workload on MT using opencl, I cannot find a reason for this to make the problem disappear... I would still speculate, it's some issue between your host RAM and your GPU RAM.

Does your RAM support XMP/EXPO?

Dominik Christian Egert #:
Does your RAM support XMP/EXPO?

No I don't think it supports XMP, I beleive I looked at my BIOS to see if that was active and the option was not available.

I also disabled a few other options in the graphics card settings, like the anti-lag feature for example, but I have a strong suspicion that all issues came from the GPU Workload option because that one seemed to make a big change in how the GPU was functioning. For example, when you change the feature it has to completely reboot the GPU and all monitors turn black for a few seconds. All I know is that for now MT5 has never run so long without crashing the PC or shutting down. Will leave it running all day and see if anything else happens. I was also having a few bugs in another charting software and I bet those will be gone too (will know later this week).

Jeepack #:

I couldn't find this option in my AMD Radeon software. where was it for you?

anubhavmeena #:

I couldn't find this option in my AMD Radeon software. where was it for you?

I'm not sure we have the same software or graphics card but my software is "AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition" 

In the initial setup I chose "gaming" but I'm not sure if this changes the layout or just the settings...

So now I go to the "Gaming" tab, then "Graphics", then at the bottom I click on "Advanced" and then on the list that opens it's the second one from the bottom called "GPU Workload".

But after a google search I see that it's not just an option in "AMD Software: Adrenaline Edition" so if you have a different sound card version and software you might find it in a different place (assuming it's an option for your GPU as well).

If you can't find it, you could write to AMD support and ask them if this feature is available for your graphics card.

It makes all the difference in the world. Most people probably don't run MT5 with a dedicated graphics card so they are probably never going to have this issue, for example, my old piece of crap lap top never crashed with MT5. Now MT5 is running with an uptime approaching 24 hours, which is about 22 hours more than the best I ever got before... looks like everything is fixed!

Anyway, today's a great day for me, I'm am so happy that this is fixed, I hope you find the solution too!

PS: when you boot MT5, it doesn't say you're running on an AMD GPU...

2023.08.01 15:57:54.313 Terminal        Windows 10 build 19045, 4 x Intel Core i7-6600U  @ 2.60GHz, AVX, 14 / 31 Gb memory, 141 / 493 Gb disk, UAC, GMT+5

Mine says:

Windows 11 build 22621, 12 x AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core, AVX, 10 / 15 Gb memory, 193 / 238 Gb disk, UAC, admin, GMT-5

I'm not sure what this means and I wouldn't be the right person to ask because I know almost nothing about PC hardware. Seems like your CPU/GPU is from Intel, not AMD. So I'm not sure why you have an AMD software on your PC or if you have an AMD GPU I don't know why it doesn't say so when you boot MT5. Those are all questions that I can't really help you with. Although I suspect that MT5 is not using an AMD GPU to run from what your terminal is saying when you boot it, hope this helps you find the solution. Good luck!

----------Update:

So check out this video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21nadVU8vsc&amp

This shows you how to tell windows to use your GPU instead of your CPU when you run a game, you can do this with terminal64.exe so maybe that's something you should look into.

How to Force a Game to Use a Graphics Card or GPU in Windows 11
How to Force a Game to Use a Graphics Card or GPU in Windows 11
  • www.youtube.com
How to Force a Game to Use a Graphics Card or GPU in Windows 11There is a feature in Windows 11 that can amp up your gaming experience. The feature allows a ...

Jeepack #:

Full hard drive formatting completed, windows 11 re-installed, hardware drivers updated/installed, MT5 installed from this site's link, EA's and indicators installed, logged into my broker's demo account, then after about 1 hour...

Blue screen OS crash with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error.

So taking PC to the shop tomorow, fingers crossed that that will be the end of it!

I meant install drivers only not full software packages which contains also softwares related..

When you install with an exe some drivers you should only check drivers only.

Or even better let win 11 install them.

There i a crucial difference.

As I supposed the issue was a software related.

Glad I was right.

Going on 36 hours of up time, so to conclude, for anyone curious, the issue is resolved now. The problem was the advanced settings of my graphics card (everything runs on the GPU in my computer). "GPU Workload" had to be changed from "Graphics" to "Compute". Others may have similar issues for other reasons, but in my case, that was the only thing I needed to do to fix the app crashes.