Question about when the tick size is smaller than the actual minium price changes

Hey everyone,

If using a demo or the strategy tester, orders are always filled at the exact order price.

So if your broker rounds all its tick prices to the nearest 1$ while allowing you to place orders with a tick size precision of 0.01$, then this means you'll get very misleading results in demo accounts or with the strategy tester as orders will fill at this higher precision even though the price feed is only giving quotes rounded to a lower resolution.

So when my EA is on an instrument that's affected by this situation, I round my prices to a lower resolution that matches the price feed's resolution before placing my orders.

The only ways I found to adjust to this is to manually enter the adjusted tick size for that symbol with the EA's input settings or to use a complex algorythm to find the greatest common divisor in a series of recent quotes.

None of these methods are perfect so I was wondering if anyone knows a better way to do this?

Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Account Properties
Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Account Properties
  • www.mql5.com
Account Properties - Environment State - Constants, Enumerations and Structures - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

Jeepack: if your broker rounds all its tick prices to the nearest 1$ while allowing you to place orders with a tick size precision of 0.01$, then this means

Then that means your broker messed up. Complain to them.

PIP, Point, or Tick are all different in general.
          Ticks, PIPs or points in the GUI. Make up your mind. - MQL4 programming forum #1 (2014)

William Roeder #:

Then that means your broker messed up. Complain to them.

PIP, Point, or Tick are all different in general.
          Ticks, PIPs or points in the GUI. Make up your mind. - MQL4 programming forum #1 (2014)

They problably have their reasons. Forex is pretty stable but other assets like crypto can 10x in a year so the degree of precision in price quotes may need to change over time. By choosing a lower tick size (0.01 vs 1.00), a broker avoids having to change their instrument parameters everytime the price feed changes its degree of precision due to large fluctuations in asset value. So if that's how they choose to operate, I can only make an adjustment or accept that the prices I use will be less accurate.