Custom Indicator won't install on mt4

I purchased an indicator from someone and followed the instructions to install. I can't get the file onto the mt4 platform however because its .ex4 I tried drag and drop in the data folder and I've tried the meta editor. any suggestions?

SmittieDaHippie: I purchased an indicator from someone and followed the instructions to install. I can't get the file onto the mt4 platform however because its .ex4 I tried drag and drop in the data folder and I've tried the meta editor. any suggestions?

".ex4" is an executable format for MetaTrader. It cannot be compiled because it is already compiled.

If it is an Indicator then place it in the "Indicators" folder, not the base data folder. It should be placed in "<data folder>\MQL4\Indicators" folder, then restart MetaTrader or refresh the Indicators folder in the Navigator window.

Fernando Carreiro #:

".ex4" is an executable format for MetaTrader. It cannot be compiled because it is already compiled.

If it is an Indicator then place it in the "Indicators" folder, not the base data folder. It should be placed in "<data folder>\MQL4\Indicators" folder, then restart MetaTrader or refresh the Indicators folder in the Navigator window.

Yep I found that out too on this journey. But that was my initial attempt because those were the original instructions from the developer. As I have stated that didn't and still isn't working for me. I have tried it on 2 different computers. I also run mt5 so I know the process a little. mt4 is just giving me this problem.