Methods of identifying a flat and a trend. - page 2

khorosh:

Even if on some time interval there is a sideways trend, but no one cancelled the global trend. Therefore, even if the market is flat, we enter in the direction of the global trend. By a global trend I understand the trend in the nearest higher TF where it can be identified. It does not happen that all the TFs are flat.

This is a good variant. I agree with you, but we should determine the flat so that we understand the time to move to higher timeframe. I'm not referring to visual perception of course, but from the EA point of view.

Павел Раввич:

That's a good one. I couldn't agree with you more, but to understand that it's time to move to a higher timeframe flat, you still need to define it. I'm not talking about visual perception of course, but in terms of EA.

One of the possible options.

khorosh:

One possibility.

It's a sensible idea, I thought of it myself, but it depends on the MA settings

khorosh:

That's one possibility.

It's a good variant. We just need to learn how to predict trand-flat transitions.
We are not here for pretty pictures :) .

Aliaksandr Hryshyn:
It is a good option. The only thing that is left is to learn how to predict the trend-flat transitions.
We are not here for pretty pictures :) .

Well, you're not making predictions, no one knows the future, at least to record the fact that the trend ended with a not very long delay.

Павел Раввич:

Well, you're not making predictions, no one knows the future, at least to record the fact that the trend is over and not too long overdue.

Tomorrow will also be bright, the coronovirus pandemic will subside after a while :) .

And the prediction may have some probability, depends on the data and its analysis.

Павел Раввич:

There is a well-known problem of separating a trend from a flat, as many trading systems work well in a trend and start to lose money in a flat, I would like to raise the issue of different approaches to solving this problem.

I would like to bring up the issue of different approaches to this issue. I would like to ask who is open to this question and I am sure all of us will benefit from new unvarnished points of view.

"The smart man will not go uphill! The smart man will go around the mountain!" - popular wisdom...

If you think that trading is over a hundred years old and the issue still hangs around..., then maybe this problem has no solution...

Or the problem itself needs to be changed...?

For example, why do you need a flat?... If you abandon the flat altogether?

Such examples already exist: Zig-Zag has ONLY two directions, and there is no place for flat in this indicator...

By the way, the trend is a bit of a head-scratcher. There is a classic definition, that's how we define it.

This is Donjian, just a visual representation of the Dow definition - as long as the Hai are rising, it means the trend is up.

Everyone has problems not in determining the trend direction, but in reliable detection of its change. And a very subtle matter - which trend to consider (there are many here and at once).

I would like to propose this variant in order to see which currency pair is stronger and which is not. There is an indicator All_against_all_v.4 I adjusted it a little for me, did a lot of different experiments and came to the following conclusion: that it should not be adjusted for a pair, but separately, for example a pair of USDCHF one indicator for USD and the second for CHF (picture attached. I put these indicators on a weekly TF in the daily chart. In addition, I can put 6 charts in one window (I also attach a picture), and then clearly see who rules and who stagnates and stagnates. I forgot, there is a separate 7-month chart. Who is interested, write.

Павел Раввич:

There is the well-known problem of separating the trend from the flat, as many trading systems work well in a trend and start losing in a flat, I would like to raise the question of different approaches to solving this problem.

I have found only 2 tools so far:

1. The difference between two long and short period MAs.

2. one of the ADX lines is responsible for indicating the strength of the trend.

Both have a strong lag and many false positives.

I would like to discuss the question, who looks at it and why. I think we will all profit from a new viewpoint that has not been washed out.

They say you can detect a trend or a flat by means of MO.