Stops are the way to go. - page 3

Close footing is the way to ruin.

Pavel Predein:

So calculate a stop loss.

The second option is simpler: you take an Expert Advisor that forcibly closes all positions under certain conditions (percentage of deposit, amount of funds or points) and that's it. Trade as you wish, knowing that if something goes wrong, everything will close as it should.

I understand your general phrases, but I don't see any formulas, any specifics...

Alexey Viktorov:
Close Footsteps, is a path to ruin.

What are Close Footings?

How are they to be interpreted?

Uladzimir Izerski:

Stops are the way to success.

Without protective stops, trading is doomed to failure. Most players in the financial markets know this.

Optimizing stop orders has been on my mind for many years. I think it is not only me.

I want to hear the opinion of experienced traders and programmers in this field, for sure).

Stops are not just unnecessary - they are harmful. They prevent you from creating a profitable strategy. This is my personal opinion, perhaps erroneous.

A stop is a recognition of the lack of signals for entry and exit (flip) from a position. If the strategy is based on the signals, then we trade by the signals: a signal to open - we open, an opposite signal - we reverse the position, etc. If the signals lead to drawdowns and stop triggers, then such signals should be discarded.

A stop is justified only when trading manually, for example when leaving the position unattended. In autotrading, the stop is used to insure the deposit in case the Expert Advisor is disconnected from the server for any reason.

Sergey Pavlov:

Stops are not just unnecessary, they are detrimental. They get in the way of creating a profitable strategy. This is my personal opinion, possibly mistaken.

A stop is an acknowledgement of the absence of signals to enter and exit (flip) a position. If the strategy is based on the signals, then we trade by the signals: a signal to open - we open, an opposite signal - we reverse the position, etc. If the signals lead to drawdowns and stop triggers, then such signals should be discarded.

A stop is justified only when trading manually, for example when leaving the position unattended. In autotrading, the stop is used to insure the deposit in case of disconnection of the Expert Advisor from the server for any reason.

Ooooh. The harmfulness of stops is a blur to my mind.

I don't want to convince anyone that you can't create a profitable TS without a stop order, but it is at least a necessity for those who understand this environment.

The right stop order is half of a profitable TS .

Uladzimir Izerski:
The right stop order is half of a profitable TS.
That's right. You have to be guided by money management.

Setting stops depends on where you are entering the position and with what idea - trending, counter-trending/rebounding from a level or out of a flat.

When entering against the trend, if it is not averaging/netting, it's better to fix the stop in pips, and it shouldn't be too big, while if entering against the trend, the stop should be as short as possible - as an option over the third bar. When trading in a trend (entry from the flat) I put a stop at the point of ZZ ray, and immediately at this sign I start trawling. I think that a stop should be obligatory and the closer to the take point, the stronger is the pressure.

Well, I invest without stops - these are entries for a year or more.

Uladzimir Izerski:
I do not want to convince anyone that a profitable TS cannot be created without a stop order, but it is at least a necessity for those who understand this environment.

Stops and takes should be generated by the TS itself by optimising it over a certain period! It may turn out that a stop-less TS will be the best option.