The absurdity of a stop loss - page 3

Mischek:

Yeah, so you exit with "Limit the loss" logic, and you enter with "I need money" logic.

Don't give me that statistically based level of sl.

There's a device called a rectifier.

Avals:

if entry can be a stop order, for example in a breakout system, why can't exit?

No no no, of course it can and sometimes it should, but this is about the original purpose - "Limiting loss".

Also technical stops outside this branch.

Many people have too narrow a definition of a "stop loss".
Most people consider stoploss to be the value of the stoploss parameter of the OredrSend function.
But a stop loss can be 1) an opposite signal 2) a drawdown, etc. etc.

Mischek:

Yeah, so you exit with "Limit the loss" logic, and you enter with "I need money" logic.

Don't give me that statistically based level of sl.

in - there's an advantage, out - there isn't any more

abolk:

many people understand "stop loss" too narrowly.
Most people consider a stop loss to be the value of the stoploss parameter of the OredrSend function.
But a stop loss can be 1) an opposite signal 2) a drawdown, etc. etc.

Yes, of course, and that's something Sanek should have mentioned in the first post. By default and in the context of his first post we have "Limit loss"

Otherwise it's a bunch of malarkey and talking about different things.

Mischek:

No no no, of course it can and sometimes must, but it is the original purpose - "Loss limitation" - that we are talking about here

Also technical stops outside this branch.

i.e. a stop is determined based on an acceptable loss? Then of course you don't need it :) That's what the position size is for

paukas:
There is a device called a rectifier.

And if you don't speak in riddles...

Avals:

So the stop is determined on the basis of acceptable losses? Then of course you don't need it :) That's what the position size is for

That's the way it works for at least half of us

MK is also a type of SL, it's not possible without it...

That is why SL is present in any TC

abolk:

Many people have too narrow a definition of stoploss.
most people consider the stoploss parameter of the OredrSend function.
But a stoploss can be 1) the opposite signal 2) a drawdown, etc., etc.

How is it to be understood if the stop loss is the price at which the trader is willing to close the position at a loss. After opening a position by the signal and trailing trigger, the price will definitely lose this stop (if it is short, and if it is long, why do you need it). This begs the question, is stop hunting really a myth?