[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 439

MetaDriver:

OK.

Cut the rope into two pieces No. 1=25m, No. 2=50m.

One end of rope #1 is attached to the hook at the top. At the other end of rope #1, tie a loop, just enough in diameter to allow the rope to slide in it.

Thread rope No. 2 through the loop to the middle. Tie the ends of rope No.2 (for insurance. optional).

Start the descent. The length of the device made of two ropes is enough to get down to the 50-metre mark, where there is the second hook and step.

Stand on the step, untie the belay knot on the rope No. 2 and pull it out of the loop at one end.

// For more safety, we tie one end of the rope to the hook first, so as not to lose our last hope... :)

Now we have a fifty-metre rope tied at fifty metres.

All that's left to do is not to fall off during the descent and jump to the ground with the rope just short of the ground (consumption of knots).

That's right, it's a method that's really used

I can make it even more difficult

MetaDriver:

All that's left to do is not to fall off during the descent and to jump to the ground with the rope a little short of the ground (consumption of knots).

Bravo. I might also add that a person's height is enough to avoid jumping at the end of a descent. Nearly 2 metres for the knots is even a lot. For safety reasons, before the last descent, you should tie a knot at the very end of the second piece so that there is something to hold on to if you slip. Even professional climbers in our town make this mistake. I recently passed by a nine-storey building - a guy at the 7th floor is gluing insulation to the wall. The main rope is on the 5th floor window sill and there's no knot on the end of it! How will it go down when it's hooked up? No knot - the end will slip out of his hand and out of the belaying device and he'll be dead. His harness worked like a lanyard - it went diagonally along the wall to the top corner of the building. More than one man died neglecting that knot.

I understand that a fifty metre piece is actually enough, but even from two metres high one can fall down with his back so that he cannot stand up.

Mathemat:

2 MetaDriver: waiting to see how you deal with the wise men...

The process is under way. So far I've managed to greatly reduce the number of candidates. Proved that at least one of the three factors (intermediate) is at most 4. (25^3 >100).

:)

Abzasc: The reason?
Geometry + S.-Boltzmann's Law.

Richie:
Geometry + S.-Boltzmann's Law.

It's complicated...

Oceans. When heated, they evaporate and the clouds, letting the sun's radiation onto the earth, reflect the earth's thermal radiation back onto the earth.

And the moon also obscures it :)

drknn:

I might add that a person's height is enough to avoid jumping at the end of a descent. Almost 2 metres on the knots is even a lot.

For safety reasons, before the last descent, you have to tie a knot at the very end of the second piece, so that there is something to grab onto if it slips. Even professional climbers in our city make this mistake. I recently passed by a nine-storey building - a guy at the 7th floor is gluing insulation to the wall. The main rope is on the 5th floor window sill and there's no knot on the end of it! How will it go down when it's hooked up? No knot - the end will slip out of his hand and out of the belaying device and he'll be dead. His harness worked like a lanyard - it went diagonally along the wall to the top corner of the building. More than one man died neglecting that knot.

I understand that a fifty metre piece is quite enough, but even from two metres high one can fall down with his back so that he cannot stand up.

1. That was clear beforehand. I was joking and you fell for it. Huh. Don't be such a drag. :)

2. Now that's interesting. And practical.

MetaDriver:

The process is ongoing. So far it has been possible to reduce the number of candidates considerably. Proved that at least one of the three factors (intermediate) is at most 4. (25^3 >100).

Well, you're taking it seriously. The problem is a very decent one indeed.

I also have successes - what the sums can be, so that the second replica (B) is just that.

MetaDriver:

The process is ongoing. So far it has been possible to reduce the number of candidates considerably. Proved that at least one of the three factors (intermediate) is at most 4. (25^3 >100).

I think I've solved it (I found one answer that makes the dialogue logical ). Hint - product == 100.

Mathemat:
Well, you're taking it seriously. The task is a very decent one indeed.

I'm having successes too - what might be the sums for the second cue (B) to be just that.

Interesting. However, I'll stick to mine for now (work==100).

Another hint. You have not used in the solution of one fact - the wise men knew that the problem is uniquely solvable (they were implicitly told by the whisperer, who set the problem).

// Sadism on his part is ruled out, by the rule of "no sadism in conversations with wise men"). :-)

// Read Kalinauskas. A third voice will always be found in any dialogue. ;)