[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 218

Yes. Only the odd ones are taken - 1 (0), 3 (2), 5 (4).

Mathemat >>:

Да. Только берутся только нечетные - 1 (0), 3 (2), 5 (4).

And the even-numbered ones don't have a rose in the middle :) I only looked at the pictures when the text insistently mentioned the name for the third time in a row. Before that, I thought it was an element of decoration :)

Yes, the title is obviously mistranslated into Russian. The key word is around in "Petals Around the Rose".

A challenge from Sam Loyd:

"A Dane with a goat on a rope and a goose under his arm met a dairywoman who was leading a cow. Suddenly the girl cried out in fright.

- What are you doing? - Hans asked.

- You wanted to kiss me, against my will," said the modest girl.

- How could I do it with these obstinate animals? - Hans nodded at the goat and the goose.

- What would prevent you from sticking your staff in the ground, tying the goat to it and the goose under my bucket? - insisted the girl.

- Your cow is squinting at me and would hit me at the same time," Hans excused himself.

- Oh, the silly cow won't hit me, and what if you were to drive all three of them into my pasture? - The girl wouldn't let up.

Here is where an extremely interesting conundrum arises, for during the ensuing conversation it turned out that the goat and the goose together eat the same amount of grass as the cow. So tell me, if a given pasture can feed a cow and goat for 45 days, or a cow and goose for 60 days, or a goat and goose for 90 days, how many days can a cow, goat and goose graze on it simultaneously? Answer quickly, because Hans and Christine are about to start a farm together."

--

// I must be an incorrigible humanitarian... It wasn't the mathematical depth of the puzzle that fascinated me, but the way it was written.

// So I decided to share a nice text. However, answers on the merits of the question are welcome too ..... :)

kraizislot >>:

смахивает на мухлёж. ТРЕТЬЯ ФИГУРА имеет аж две боковах и вней все 5 из 5 можно пересечь?!. это ведь 1я и 2я имеют по одной боковой. если чё не понял уточните, что: или я того, или эти карты краплёные. Тока без математики.... а то мы будем не поняты друг другом.

Each of the numbered shapes consists of five segments. All of them must be intersected by red: by the problem's definition the polyline must intersect ALL the segments, but by the same definition it must be done exactly once for each segment. If we have five red segments for the third figure, we must connect them somehow - the polyline cannot be broken! We can connect the inside ends only inside of 3, because we can't go outside of it (we have already crossed all its sides once). Five segments may or may not be connected, but there is one left - that's the way nature works, odd numbers are not divisible by 2. So one end is broken in any case. So no cheating.

Here is another one, which suddenly turned out to be a 10th grade problem.

The angles alpha and beta are acute.

It is known that sin2(alpha) + sin2(beta) = sin(alpha+beta). Prove that alpha+beta = Pi/2.

MetaDriver >>:

Задачка от Сэма Лойда:

"Один датчанин с козой на веревке и гусем под мышкой повстречал молочницу, которая вела корову. Вдруг девушка испуганно вскрикнула.

- Ты чего? - спросил Ганс.

- Так ты же хотел поцеловать меня против моей воли, - ответила скромница.

- Как бы я мог это сделать с этими вот строптивыми животными? - кивнул Ганс на козу и гуся.

- А что мешает тебе воткнуть посох в землю, привязать к нему козу, а гуся посадить под мое ведро? - настаивала девушка.

- Да твоя корова косится на меня и в это время меня бы непременно боднула, - оправдывался Ганс.

- О, эта глупая корова не бодается, а что, если ты вдруг возьмешь и выгонишь всех троих на мое пастбище? - не унималась девушка.

Вот здесь-то и возникает одна крайне интересная головоломка, ибо во время последовавшего затем разговора оказалось, что коза и гусь вместе съедают столько же травы, сколько и корова. Поэтому скажите, если данное пастбище прокормит корову и козу в течение 45 дней, либо корову и гуся в течение 60 дней, либо козу и гуся в течение 90 дней, то сколько дней на нем смогут одновременно пастись корова, коза и гусь? Требуется ответить поскорее, потому что Ганс и Кристина вот-вот заведут общее хозяйство."

--

// Все таки я, видимо, неисправимый гуманитарий... Задачка очаровала вовсе не математической глубиной, а стилем изложения.

// Вот решил поделиться приятным текстом. Впрочем, ответы по существу вопроса тоже принимаются.... :)

There is some kind of discrepancy here. If a goat and a goose eat like a cow, then the cow will also feed on this pasture for 90 days. so 2 cows for 45 days, so the goat eats like a cow according to the second condition and the goose eats nothing, but this contradicts the third condition. On the other hand, nowhere does it say that they can graze longer than specified, then the animals can graze until Hans gets fed up with the milkweed.

MetaDriver >>:

Задачка от Сэма Лойда:

I couldn't do it in my head. It's not easy in the head...

72d 120d 360d

If we drop the first condition (Cow = Goose + Goat), the answer is 40 days for all three of us. In principle, the problem can be solved in the mind, because there is a system of three more or less symmetric linear equations, which can be solved by adding them together.

Probably, sly Christine deliberately confused Hans, to make it easier to take him warm. Or Hans himself fell for it.

vegetate >>:

Тут какое-то несоответствие. Если коза с гусем едят как корова, то корова так-же прокормится на этом пастбище 90 дней. значит 2 коровы 45 дней, значит коза ест как корова по второму условию а гусь ничего не ест, но это противоречит третьему условию. С другой стороны нигде не сказано, что они смогут пастись дольше, чем указано, тогда животные смогут пастись пока Гансу не надоест молочница.

The problem is full of contradictions, unless one assumes that grass can grow. Which is logical, though it adds to the complexity of the solution.

:)