Predicting the future with Fourier transforms - page 15

m_a_sim >> :

Ask Fourier.

Quite right. This question is similar to the question:

Harmonics of what frequency will correctly predict price movement at a given time interval.

Sart_repair >> :

We are all here - teaching others and learning ourselves. I really don't understand - why would the price move Fourier ?

Already asked questions here:

- is there any theoretical evidence?

- >> is there any empirical evidence ?

Do you have a technical or humanitarian background?

sabluk >> :

>> do you have a technical or liberal arts background?

">> you're a real pain in the ass with your education, mate. Regular high school, i.e., 10th grade plus a railroad technical school. Not good enough?

diakin >> :

Any attempt to predict the future can only be based on the assumption that existing processes will continue to exist unchanged for some time or (if they are periodic) will return to some of their parameters that existed in the past. You can use Fourier series to analyse periodic processes - they are as good as all the others ;)

It does not follow from such an assumption in any way.

------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO, the only advantage of Fourier series decomposition over polynomials, for example, is the limited range of values of the resulting function. And the summary function cannot be used to predict price series in isolation.

Sart_repair >> :

Regular high school, i.e., 10th grade plus railroad technical school. Doesn't fit?

doesn't quite fit, but it seems to have at least some contact with applied physics.

It's easier to do technical analysis if you're technically inclined.

sabluk >> :

И? If it were that simple, no one would make up other strategies. I mean, if they were modeling with damped harmonics, it'd be more or less true. Except it's a little more complicated than that. An order of magnitude.

sabluk >> :

Not quite suitable, but it seems to have had at least some contact with applied physics

>> It is easier to do technical analysis if you have a technical mind.

Technical analysis and various tricky indicators are absolutely useless for trading. I haven't dabbled in it for a long time.

I don't do it for a long time, maybe because I'm not a "technical thinker". But I suggest you to put the above beautiful pictures into real forecasts.

Personally I am interested in franc forecast at the moment. Without TA I make a forecast - the franc will eventually go up and reach the nearest target - 1.1900.

Right now the price is 1.1760.

What does the Fourier theory say ? Specifically only.

That's the kind of concrete discussion with a test of theory in a combat situation I like, or else - show him the diploma...

Sart_repair >> :

Technical analysis and various tricky indicators are absolutely useless for trading. I haven't dabbled in it for a long time.

Maybe because I'm not "technically minded". But I suggest you to put the above beautiful pictures into real forecasts.

Personally I am interested in franc forecast at the moment. Without TA I make a forecast - the franc will eventually go up and reach the nearest target - 1.1900.

What does the Fourier theory say ? Specifically only.

That's the kind of concrete discussion I like.

I've got a software package that's been disassembled

While the crisis strikes, I do some reworks and forum flooding.)

A lie in a picture is a hint in a picture... Give savages a mobile phone and they'll pound nuts with it.

sabluk >> :

I've got a software package in a state of disassembly

while the crisis is still raging, I'm redesigning it and flooding the forum.)

>> a picture's a lie but a hint's a lie... give savages a mobile phone they'll use it to crack peanuts.

Some kid here on the forum says it very well in such cases: "Ehhhhh..."...