Advice on not using the MetaTrader 4 Strategy Tester - page 8

The Take Profit level for an order is actually a limit order. That is, if you have an open BUY order, it will be closed by SELL operations when the SELL LIMIT order triggers. Limit orders mean "at price or better". Take Profit orders may therefore be executed at a price or better, and in the case of a positive slippage, they will usually close at the price specified for the Take Profit level. Even if that price was not in the quotes.

This point is now prescribed by the brokers in their Regulations, the tester makes exactly the execution that is specified for this trading server.

Okay, whatever - take profit, but how did the position open with a buy-stop?!?!?!?

You know, in the pictures above it is far from obvious where the original opening price of the BUY STOP order was located. But again, theoretically speaking, the STOP type of order implies opening "at or below the price" as opposed to LIMIT, which must open "at or above the price". This is also usually spelt out in the regulations. If I have misunderstood what the question is, then give me more details.

Rosh:

This point is now prescribed by the brokers in their regulations, the tester performs exactly the execution that is specified for the given trading server.
I am testing my EA and between 09/04/2010 and 12/04/2010 EUR/USD we have gaps and the orders are triggered at the order price, not at the market price. How to avoid this. I want the tester to get closer to the reality, not farther away.

Thank you.

The situation is typical, the tester has nothing to do with it.

Serg16:
I am testing my EA and between 09/04/2010 and 12/04/2010 EUR/USD is gapped and the orders are triggered at the order price, not at the market price. How do I overcome this? I want the tester to get closer to the reality, not farther away.

It's too late to fight, the four, if they just support it, that's already good. The whole fight has been moved to the five... fight there.

Rosh:
You know, it is far from obvious in these pictures where the initial open price of the BUY STOP type order is located. But speaking theoretically again, the STOP order type implies opening "at price or worse" as opposed to LIMIT, which should open "at price or better". This is also usually spelled out in the regulations. If I have misunderstood the question, give more details.

I have two small questions for Mr Rashid, as I think he is the most capable of giving a comprehensive answer to my questions regarding the strategy tester.

There is a testing mode in MT4:

Control points (a very crude method ...

It helps me because it saves time. The fact that it is not very accurate suits me fine and I understand it.

Judging by the description in Metatrader (exactly what is written in this line and further in it), data from the nearest smaller timeframe is taken as ticks.

What data exactly is taken? Open ? Close ? High ? Low ? Please specify. Or some combination of them ? Which one, by what algorithm ? In general - the algorithm of formation of Ask and Bid for the Expert Advisor by this Method. Since it was invented in Metaquota - this is where I hope to get an answer about what I'm using by pressing "this button" of strategy tester.

If I'm testing an EA on say H1 timeframe, which LOWER TIMFrame do I get my data from ? M30 ? C M15 ? C M5 ? C M1 ?

Would you be so kind as to clarify.

Here I decided to test the EA for May 2010. Nice warm month of May - I love Spring :)

I have used method of testing by check points and passed the test without errors. Because of the history I have data on the currency pair (H1 period) for 10 years. But for the year 2010 in the MetaTrader there is no data for the same currency pair, neither for the period of M30, nor for a period of M15, nor for a period of M5, and for the period of M1 there is no data for any year in MT4.

So from WHICH NAME PERIOD did MT4 take the data in THIS CASE? Where did it get it at all if there is NO data for this period !!!!! What is this data and how is it generated ?????? !!!!!!

That was question one.

Question two. According to this link.

https://www.mql5.com/ru/code/7777

There is an Expert Advisor called TICK COLLECTOR. It builds them perfectly on the REAL and on the DEMO, but it does not want to build them in the tester on any inteval. Writes empty files - does not give out errors. Maybe you can tell me what's the reason for such behavior? I'm not good in MQL and I've looked through the code, but I've never found anything that may prevent the code from collecting ticks in the Strategy Tester. Please help.

I am very thankful to you. Love the professionalism.