Who has the following package: Windows 7 x64 and MetaTrader 4 terminal? - page 6

Stanislav Korotky:
Once again, it's a good idea to see a screenshot of the file properties from Windows Explorer. Windows has a feature to block files from what it considers to be untrustworthy sources. To unlock them you need to press a button there. Until the file is unlocked, it's as if it's not there for the application programs, and the terminal just doesn't display empty folders.
Unlocked file is the first thing that comes to mind.

Karputov Vladimir:
Unlocked file is the first thing that comes to mind.
Connect to the computer remotely and install the file yourself.

The following (final) experiment was carried out: On a Windows 7 Home Premium (x64 based PC) computer, Avast antivirus was completely removed. Then I rebooted the computer.

Then in MetaTrader 4 - file menu - open data folder - find folder MQL4/Experts/, create a new folder and put there *.ex4 file, which I compiled in Win 10 and transferred via Skype.

I reloaded MT4 terminal - the result is 0! That glitchy MetaTrader 4 doesn't want to see files compiled on another computer!

I went further - installed MT5 and followed the same procedure - Open Data Folder - found folder MQL5/Experts/, created new folder and put there *.ex5 file, which I compiled in Win10 and transferred through Skype. Victory here: MT5 immediately saw the new folder and *.ex5 file.

That is all. Curtain.

Karputov Vladimir:

The following (final) experiment was carried out: On a Windows 7 Home Premium (x64 based PC) computer, Avast antivirus was completely removed. Then I rebooted the computer.

Then I have MetaTrader 4 - Open Data Folder - find MQL4/Experts/ folder and put there *.ex4 file which I have compiled in Win10 and have sent through Skype.

I reloaded MT4 terminal - the result is 0! Well, MetaTrader 4 does not want to see files compiled on another computer!

I went further - installed MT5 and followed the same procedure - Open Data Folder - found folder MQL5/Experts/, created new folder and put there *.ex5 file, which I compiled in Win10 and transferred through Skype. Victory here: MT5 has immediately seen the new folder and *.ex5 file.

That's it. Curtain.

Read the thread, will try later - don't have 7 + 64x on hand right now

Yuriy Zaytsev:
Read the thread, will try later - don't have 7 + 64x on hand at the moment
I will wait. The *.ex4 file is here.

There are a couple of clarifying questions.

1. How is the computer logged in - physically or via remote desktop?

2. How many copies of MT4 on the computer? If more than one, for the sake of experiment, what happens if you put a folder and a file in all other instances?

Stanislav Korotky:

There are a couple of clarifying questions.

1. How is the computer logged in - physically or via remote desktop?

2. How many copies of MT4 on the computer? If more than one, for the sake of experiment, what happens if you put the folder and file in all the other instances?

1. No. I am transferring a file to a person via Skype. I am not logged in to him.

2. Two copies. Tried both, of course.

Karputov Vladimir:

1. No. I am transferring a file to a person via Skype. I am not logged in to him.

I thought that the problem is already being tested locally. But since everything is tied to the client, then the same question about him - how does he log in to the computer? Depending on how one logs in, MT uses different Data Folder's. I've encountered this when I've edited something via RDP, but MT, running on the same machine locally, didn't see my edits.

Stanislav Korotky:
I assumed that the problem has already been tested locally. But since everything is tied to the client, then the same question about him - how does he log in to the computer? Depending on how one logs in, MT uses different Data Folder's. I've encountered this when I've edited something via RDP, and MT, running on the same machine locally, didn't see my edits.

The person works on their PC - no remote clients or desktops. Data Folder opens from the terminal.

And let me remind you that this glitch is only in a glitchy MT4 terminal, while MT5 sees the new folders and MY files sent over Skype perfectly.

In general, no tricks have been used to make MT4 see the files compiled on another computer. And while other participants (thank you) have not confirmed such behavior on Win 7 and MT4 - it makes me think hard about the need to abandon MT4 altogether. Lately the number of glitches on MT4 has just been off the charts threateningly.

Added:

Purely out of academic interest, I'm going to get Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and install it in a virtual machine. See if anything pops up...