EA results

So I'm looking for some clarification, being new to creating expert advisors ive tried to make a basic one using a few indicators. all was going well or at least i thought it was until I ran the strategy on live account and the losses mounted. I had done backtesting and forward testing recieving results that indicated a 40% profit over 4 months which seemed reasonable compared to what I had seen in the training videos I learnt from.

However due to these mounting losses its made me question whether my EA was tailored too heavy for the timeframe I optimised on or am I expecting unreasonable results? I guess my question is what is a reasonable return over 4 months or a year?

should i expect to see 100% a year or much less? being new to this it feels as though the past few months have been in vein writing a bot which showed good results to then mount numerous losses as soon as it went live.

thank you
Create Your Own Expert Advisor in MQL5 Wizard
Create Your Own Expert Advisor in MQL5 Wizard
  • www.mql5.com
The knowledge of programming languages is no longer a prerequisite for creating trading robots. Earlier lack of programming skills was an impassable obstacle to the implementation of one's own trading strategies, but with the emergence of the MQL5 Wizard, the situation radically changed. Novice traders can stop worrying because of the lack of programming experience - with the new Wizard, which allows you to generate Expert Advisor code, it is not necessary.