Enable WebRequest / Socket in Strategy Tester!!!

Please - this is so important.

Security-wise, it is no change, as I can implement a custom DLL which does nothing else than provide those functions, but it is ridiculous that I have to do that.

One of the basic rules of software development is to run in production, what you have tested. Now you can't do that - you have to work with the custom DLL when developing/testing, and then switch to WebRequest / Socket in "production".

Please!

Explain us why you need WebRequest/Socket on the Strategy Tester ?

Alain Verleyen:
Explain us why you need WebRequest/Socket on the Strategy Tester ?

Thank you for reaching out.

I have some external functionality (ML model) in python that I want to use for predictions. Since it is extensive (can't really wrap it in a simple DLL), I am using it via a webserver (I have an endpoint that returns information if price will move by more than X pips based on current state data). Could use websockets too, but even that is disabled in tester.

And why I need to test it? I intent to have this cycle of development:

1) fine-tune the model logic, gather data via MQL, train the model on the data

2) see how the model actually performs in StrategyTester (with spreads, delays, SLs, etc. influencing the actual result)

3) go back to 1

I hope it makes sense

Take the data from MT, use it to do your thing in python and generate a buy/sell signal file with price and timestamp. Write a simple EA that executes the signals in tester.

Enrique Dangeroux:

Take the data from MT, use it to do your thing in python and generate a buy/sell signal file with price and timestamp. Write a simple EA that executes the signals in tester.

Thanks Enrique, that is a good idea. Really - I would consider it if I had not already implemented the DLL in C++ that just does the "middle man".

With that DLL approach, as well as with yours, I question the intent of disabling the web requests for tester - in both cases, the load on the webserver is exactly the same as if I went there directly, so what is the benefit?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lukas.korous:

Thanks Enrique, that is a good idea. Really - I would consider it if I had not already implemented the DLL in C++ that just does the "middle man".

With that DLL approach, as well as with yours, I question the intent of disabling the web requests for tester - in both cases, the load on the webserver is exactly the same as if I went there directly, so what is the benefit?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The platform is not build for your needs.

It's easily understandable WebRequest and Socket are not available in the Strategy Tester. Just provide a free software to people who don't understand what they are doing and you will quickly understand.

I would guess it's blocked to disable DDOS from within the tester network.

So it is disabled for security reasons, I suppose.