new to MQL4, are there any easier instructions/documentations? keep running in circles

Hi all,

I've just started to try and learny by myself mql4, however i'm finding it very difficult to understand the documentation that comes with it/provided in here.

I'm not a very technical person, and everytime I revert to the help/doc I find a simple matter explained in an even more technical way... 

I've only been to it for a couple of weeks so i'm not expecting miracles. So far i'm capable of coding basic stuff like printing out prices and indicator values.

Today i've been trying to draw some horizontal/vertical lines on the chart but i'm completely lost in the help.

I've figured out that I need to use the ObjectCreate function, but I'm lost in the parameters section.

For example help states something like :

chart_id

[in]  Chart identifier.

what does that mean? where can i find more info about it? what should it right in it? i know it has got nothing to do with the currenncy pair since I've come across that as chart smybol.

After some searching i've across yet another help page of chart id stating this

Returns the ID of the current chart.

long  ChartID();

Return Value

Value of long type.

This is what I mean, wasn't much help either.

So my question is, how can I go about finding my way out in knowing what all of this stuff mean and how to properly code/use it?

thanks in advance for any help

and sorry if this might sound stupid for the more experienced ones

Char, Short, Int and Long Types - Integer Types - Data Types - Language Basics - MQL4 Reference
Char, Short, Int and Long Types - Integer Types - Data Types - Language Basics - MQL4 Reference
  • docs.mql4.com
short ushort int uint long ulong Since the unsigned integer types are not designed for storing negative values, the attempt to set a negative value can lead to unexpected consequences. Such a simple script will lead to an infinite loop:

zelda_lee: and sorry if this might sound stupid for the more experienced ones

Perhaps you should read the manual.
   How To Ask Questions The Smart Way. 2004
      How To Interpret Answers.
         RTFM and STFW: How To Tell You've Seriously Screwed Up.

You were at MQL4 ReferenceChart OperationsChartID. If you had gone over to ChartNext, you would know how IDs work by looking at the example.

Unless you are trying to do something with multiple charts, you don't need to be concerned with them. You mentioned ObjectCreate, the second version doesn't require one.

Welcome Zelda Lee. 

There is a learning series compiled over the years by fellow coder @James Hodges , it has some old concepts but you will learn the core principles.

Lorentzos Roussos:

Welcome Zelda Lee. 

There is a learning series compiled over the years by fellow coder @James Hodges , it has some old concepts but you will learn the core principles.

Thanks for the video, will start watching it right away

William Roeder:

Perhaps you should read the manual.
   How To Ask Questions The Smart Way. 2004
      How To Interpret Answers.
         RTFM and STFW: How To Tell You've Seriously Screwed Up.

You were at MQL4 ReferenceChart OperationsChartID. If you had gone over to ChartNext, you would know how IDs work by looking at the example.

Unless you are trying to do something with multiple charts, you don't need to be concerned with them. You mentioned ObjectCreate, the second version doesn't require one.

I am reading the manual but am having difficulting understanding it, that was the point of my question. Also the 3 links you provided are all blocked by firefox

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to www.catb.org. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.