Perfect PC backtesting rig? - page 2

William Roeder:
  1. Your original question was about backtesting.

Don't double post! You already had this thread open.
              General rules and best pratices of the Forum. - General - MQL5 programming forum 2017.07.19

2. No such thing as "laglessly." You are using a network, not a co-located server.

3. I am currently running 56 charts with 8 indicators+EA on my laptop. The terminal working set is 200 MB RAM, 8% cpu (of 4 cores).
              MT4 running super slow. - MQL4 programming forum #3 20.03.23

It does take several minutes to start up and shutdown (make sure the executable has exited, not just the window has closed, before stopping/rebooting Windows.)

4. Any machine will do.

Hi Mr Roeder

I was wondering if you could help me with this. I'm testing my strategy with MT5 and just wrote an indicator that makes a lot of calculations. On 2 years of 1 min chart (more than 760,000 bars) my laptop struggles more than 45 minutes to shows the signals on a heavy chart (more than 40 indicators needed). (config: Core i7 2nd Gen 2.0 Ghz - 6 GB DDR3 RAM - 1 GB Graphics). So desperately need an upgrade.

Do you think a laptop like XPS 15 9500 (with Core i5-10300H 16GB of RAM, 500GB SSD, Intel UHD graphic) suits my need? What's your advice? Do I need to think further that someday I might need a better performance system for back-testing EA?

May I suggest to do research on this matter.

A good start can be Linus Tech Tips, DerBauer, GamersNexus, Toms Hardware Guide and others. (Youtube, Google)

You are looking for best Single Core Integer Performance. (ALU) as well as Multicore for optimization runs.

The GPU is irrelevant. The IGP will do fine.

BTW, depending on log/journal activity by indicators/experts in use can have demand for fast and big storage unit (SSD/HDD).

In case of having indicators/experts/services utilizing OpenCL, you should consider a Cuda GPU. OpenCL is executed on the GPU/IGP of your device.

Dominik Egert:
May I suggest to do research on this matter.

A good start can be Linus Tech Tips, DerBauer, GamersNexus, Toms Hardware Guide and others. (Youtube, Google)

You are looking for best Single Core Integer Performance. (ALU) as well as Multicore for optimization runs.

The GPU is irrelevant. The IGP will do fine.

BTW, depending on log/journal activity by indicators/experts in use can have demand for fast and big storage unit (SSD/HDD).

In case of having indicators/experts/services utilizing OpenCL, you should consider a Cuda GPU. OpenCL is executed on the GPU/IGP of your device.

Thanks for your kind reply.

I did some research on this, at the end all I got was a lot of benchmarks on the paper, not in practice. So I referred to this thread.

"You are looking for best Single Core Integer Performance. (ALU) as well as Multicore for optimization runs."

Can you explain this a little bit more for me, please?

At least on the surface.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECint

In short higher frequency is not higher throughput.

But I would go for a CPU with high boost clock and lots of cores.

Combined with high memory bandwidth. DDR4/DDR5

ALU:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_logic_unit

Most of your program is executed here.

The bigger the L1/L2/L3 cache the faster your CPU can execute repetitive tasks.

I guess that's it so far.

Dominik Egert:
At least on the surface.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECint

In short higher frequency is not higher throughput.

But I would go for a CPU with high boost clock and lots of cores.

Combined with high memory bandwidth. DDR4/DDR5

ALU:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_logic_unit

Most of your program is executed here.

The bigger the L1/L2/L3 cache the faster your CPU can execute repetitive tasks.

I guess that's it so far.

So that way I would better go for a desktop computer. A CPU like Ryzen 3900XT would be great! What do you think?

eeeeeeehsan:

So that way I would better go for a desktop computer. A CPU like Ryzen 3900X would be great! What do you think?

Please be aware, I cannot make suggestions to products.

Dominik Egert:

Please be aware, I cannot make suggestions to products.

Thanks. You helped me a lot.