Is it advisable to use order comments to store metadata?

In my EA, there are certain circumstances in which in clone orders, and will have to later identify them as cloned orders. 

I thought about using an array to store the order Ticket Numbers of the cloned orders, but this comment functionality seems like it might be simpler and more efficient. 

I can store an identifier, eg "[clone]" in the comment field when i create the order, and then check the the OrderComment value later.  

I have read that some brokers can append information to the comments, or truncate them, but I can code around those issues.  Other than those caveats, is there any reason not to use OrderComment to store such metadata? 

Thanks in advance.

kasinath:

In my EA, there are certain circumstances in which in clone orders, and will have to later identify them as cloned orders. 

I thought about using an array to store the order Ticket Numbers of the cloned orders, but this comment functionality seems like it might be simpler and more efficient. 

I can store an identifier, eg "[clone]" in the comment field when i create the order, and then check the the OrderComment value later.  

I have read that some brokers can append information to the comments, or truncate them, but I can code around those issues.  Other than those caveats, is there any reason not to use OrderComment to store such metadata? 

Thanks in advance.

Hi ,

I sometimes do the same thing where i need to keep orders distinct, yes you can store the info in an array, but this works too.

So far havent come across a negative effect

Best Regards

Stanislav Ivanov:

Hi ,

I sometimes do the same thing where i need to keep orders distinct, yes you can store the info in an array, but this works too.

So far havent come across a negative effect

Best Regards

Thank you for your response Stanislav. 

I will keep an eye on it. If i spot an issues, i will share here. 

Not a good idea to use comments, brokers can change comments, including complete replacement.

William Roeder:
Not a good idea to use comments, brokers can change comments, including complete replacement.

Aaaah. Damnit. 

I will need to stop using the comment field and move this to an array to keep track then.

Thanks for this information @William Roeder!