Problem with division?

Hi All

I am trying to create a ROC indicator, but for some reason, it doesn't get displayed, the code is below

double ROC, CurrentClose, PrevClose;
double RateOfChange[];
      CurrentClose = iClose(Symbol(), 0, i);
      PrevClose = iClose(Symbol(), 0, i + n_Period);
      ROC = CurrentClose - PrevClose;
      RateOfChange[i] = 100 * ROC / PrevClose;

As long as I comment out RateOfChange = 100 * ROC / PrevClose;, it starts showing something, for example, I can change it and display ROC. 

What is the problem here?

luckyvictor:

Hi All

I am trying to create a ROC indicator, but for some reason, it doesn't get displayed, the code is below

As long as I comment out RateOfChange = 100 * ROC / PrevClose;, it starts showing something, for example, I can change it and display ROC. 

What is the problem here?

Always check the Experts tab for errors.

In this case you will probably see a zero divide error.

Make sure that this doesn't give an array out of range error.

Keith Watford:

Always check the Experts tab for errors.

In this case you will probably see a zero divide error.

Make sure that this doesn't give an array out of range error.

Thanks Keith for your suggestion, will look into it when I am in front of my computer.

Actually I did two things, when I create it as an indicator for its own, i use a for loop that start from historical bar (number >0) then gradually work to 0, it didn't give me problem of out of range or divide by zero, and I get it plotted on chart.

I then use this same formula in another indicator, which works together with MA, and in here, I started from 0 the latest bar and work back into history, and I don't get the plot.

Do you think this for loop itself may cause problem as well?

We don't know what values you are using for i or n_Period.

But  i + n_Period must be less than rates_total or you will get the array out of range error.

Turns out it is the problem of the for loop, and causes out of range

Thanks for everyone help