Genetic algorithm blocking further optimizing without being asked for

Hi,

I'm currently facing the same problem reported in the MQL4 questions here and at the end of here. Nevertheless I'll describe it in case it might help.

I have an EA I want to optimize and it has many configuration parameters, e.g.: 11 different types of stop loss strategies. Each such parameters may need one or more configuration option. For example, ATR stop loss needs not only the multiplier value, but the value of the indicator's period as well. But some of such parameters may be useless for other options. Example: the ATR stop loss needs the input on indicator period, but stop loss based on fixed distance of ticks from position start doesn't. Well I want to make "full optimization", not having to stop hundreds of times to configure the .set to the exact same situation it neededs. That, though, will create a lot of unecessary passes. For example, when testing for fix tick distance stop loss, all the many variances of the input parameter of indicator period will lead to the same exact result since this parameters is not being taking into account, leading to lost in time. That brings the big question: how to avoid unnecessary passes?

Two main ways have been proposed in my readings: use the Genetic Algorithm or validate which combination of inputs are valid and use 

return INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT;

in OnInit() function when the useless combination of parameters are being tested by the Optimizer.

Well I want to use the second option since I don't trust the Genetic Algorithm to do this work. Problem is that even if I select "Complete Slow Algorithm" instead of GA to do the tests, if too many cases of invalid parameters happen at the start, the GA, which entered in scene without me having asked for it, blocks further development after 512 attemps:

GA blocking further optimization

In my point of view, the main cause lies here:

GA started

Since I've asked to optimize lots of possible results, the GA has automatically been activated even though I strictly sad I didn't want to use it, rather trusting in my own method of parameter evaluation to speed up the optimization. 

So my question is: how can I get around this? How can I tell MT5 I don't want the GA to be used no matter what it thinks is the best for me? And if that is not possible, how can I make the GA continue to optimize even when I configured the testing in such a way many combinations of parameters are going to be invalid?

So my question is: how can I get around this? How can I tell MT5 I don't want the GA to be used no matter what it thinks is the best for me?

You can't.

• If the total number of optimization steps exceeds 1,000,000 in a 32-bit system or 100,000,000 in a 64-bit system, the genetic optimization mode starts automatically.

Source: https://www.metatrader5.com/en/terminal/help/algotrading/optimization_types

About your real problem:

I have the same problem (you know my work, so you know I do... :D) since 2015 and found no soluction so far.

Actually I couldn't find somone that understand it till now (you're the first).

Here is my original post:

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/67103 

Optimization Types - Algorithmic Trading, Trading Robots - MetaTrader 5
Optimization Types - Algorithmic Trading, Trading Robots - MetaTrader 5
  • www.metatrader5.com
This type of optimization is based on the genetic algorithm of search for the best values of input parameters. This type is much faster than the first one and is almost of the same quality. The slow complete optimization that would take several years can be performed within several hours using the genetic algorithm. Each individual has a...

About automatic switch to GA, 100,000,000 passes with 5 seconds for a pass would be insane, don't you think ?

About your main issue, there is no built-in solution. Using INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT need to be used sparsely to avoid discarding too much passes, which would wreck the GA algorithm. Metaquotes CEO roughly estimated to no more than 25% of combinations discarded (and rather recommend to not use INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT at all). It probably doesn't fit for your problem anyway. Your 'problem' doesn't seem linear so you probably need to forget the idea to use 1 optimization process for all your parameters.

You need a custom solution : you split your problem in X sub-problems, use an external script (whatever language you like) to launch MT5 in optimization mode automatically for each sub-problem, then combine the results. Personally I don't think it's worth the pain as anyway your optimization will lead to curve fitting, but if you believe it's worth it, that's the way to go.

N.B: Actually you could even use MT5 to launch other MT5 running optimizations.

Henrique Vilela:

You can't.

• If the total number of optimization steps exceeds 1,000,000 in a 32-bit system or 100,000,000 in a 64-bit system, the genetic optimization mode starts automatically.

Source: https://www.metatrader5.com/en/terminal/help/algotrading/optimization_types

About your real problem:

I have the same problem (you know my work, so you know I do... :D) since 2015 and found no soluction so far.

Actually I couldn't find somone that understand it till now (you're the first).

Here is my original post:

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/67103 

Well that's too bad :( Even though understandable, I think MetaQuotes should have given the last word to its clients if the GA should or not automatically be switch on. Thanks for the reply; at least now I know up till how much iteration I can do each time :)

Alain Verleyen:

About automatic switch to GA, 100,000,000 passes with 5 seconds for a pass would be insane, don't you think ?

About your main issue, there is no built-in solution. Using INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT need to be used sparsely to avoid discarding too much passes, which would wreck the GA algorithm. Metaquotes CEO roughly estimated to no more than 25% of combinations discarded (and rather recommend to not use INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT at all). It probably doesn't fit for your problem anyway. Your 'problem' doesn't seem linear so you probably need to forget the idea to use 1 optimization process for all your parameters.

You need a custom solution : you split your problem in X sub-problems, use an external script (whatever language you like) to launch MT5 in optimization mode automatically for each sub-problem, then combine the results. Personally I don't think it's worth the pain as anyway your optimization will lead to curve fitting, but if you believe it's worth it, that's the way to go.

N.B: Actually you could even use MT5 to launch other MT5 running optimizations.

Well since many if not most of the possible combinations lead to be ignored with the call to INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT, I don't mind the 100 million passes with 5 seconds "each". In the dead cases, MT5's log is telling is taking less then 1 ms to kill the invalid passes. Furthermore I only have 16 3.6GHz processors to do the work, but what if I had 50+ like some pros have? In that case I could put one billion passes without a problem and the automatic switch to GA would only be in my way.

Regarding using INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT, yeah I noticed it. I tested in one of the cases and concluded I'ld have do discard their use completely in order to avoid messing with the GA. Still, as I sad, I don't trust this algorithm to do the work anyway. 

About your custom script idea, I remember reading about it somewhere like that; create some .set with some optimization parameters configured and then run a scrip that makes MT5 test the sequence of .set. Only problem is I don't see much gain in work from doing it manually parameter group by group.

Finally, even though I'm almost certain I'm not going to use it, I'm curious about your last "N.B.": are you talking about MT5 scripts?

And thanks for the reply!

I think MetaQuotes should have given the last word to its clients if the GA should or not automatically be switch on.

I guess it's related to the max ID it can handle because the limit depends on the CPU architecture

Only problem is I don't see much gain in work from doing it manually parameter group by group.

Not manually, automatically.

You make a script that run one set, wait till it finnish than run the next.

Have you seen my "Miner"? It's what it does.

Check this:
https://www.metatrader5.com/en/terminal/help/start_advanced/start

Platform Start - For Advanced Users - MetaTrader 5
Platform Start - For Advanced Users - MetaTrader 5
  • www.metatrader5.com
After installation, a group of programs of the trading platform is added to the Start menu, and the program shortcut is created on the desktop. Use them to run the platform. Two copies of the platform cannot run from the same directory. If you need to run multiple copies at the same time, install the appropriate number of programs in different...

Henrique Vilela:

I'm sorry, poor English :D I meant: compared to doing it manually, I can't see much gain from this approach. Manualy:

1. Configure a group parameter options which are compatible in how they use the parameters (e.g. use the first 3 stop loss options which all don't require configuring the indicator period) in MT5
  2. Run
  3. Catch the data (Print-screen, etc.) and analyse
  4. Repeat the process again and again till all possibilites are covered
  5. Compare all the results to select which is the best, most consistent combination of parameters.

The script approach:

1. Configure one group parameter to optimize and save the preset as a .set file.
  2. Repeat step 1 till you have as many as .set files to cover all possible parameter configurations.
  3. Create a script that will make MT5 run all the .set. 
  4. Run
  5. Collect the results data somehow (possibly requiring saving them in some CSV file since each new .set run will erase MT5's table of results. In this case, one more step is required: create the save-to-csv mechanism)
I guess I'ld die of boredom before finishing the script approach :P 

Martin Bittencourt:

Well that's too bad :( Even though understandable, I think MetaQuotes should have given the last word to its clients if the GA should or not automatically be switch on. Thanks for the reply; at least now I know up till how much iteration I can do each time :)

Well since many if not most of the possible combinations lead to be ignored with the call to INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT, I don't mind the 100 million passes with 5 seconds "each". In the dead cases, MT5's log is telling is taking less then 1 ms to kill the invalid passes. Furthermore I only have 16 3.6GHz processors to do the work, but what if I had 50+ like some pros have? In that case I could put one billion passes without a problem and the automatic switch to GA would only be in my way.

I don't have details about your specific EA. But even if 80% of the passes are discarded and we neglected them, that's still 20 millions passes, so 100 millions seconds. That's 1,157 computation days. So with your 16 cores it's 72 days. With 50 cores, 23 days...Up to you to see.

Regarding using INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT, yeah I noticed it. I tested in one of the cases and concluded I'ld have do discard their use completely in order to avoid messing with the GA. Still, as I sad, I don't trust this algorithm to do the work anyway. 

GA needs to be correctly applied, so you need to use it for a linear problem to say it simply. In such case, GA algorithm is totally reliable.

About your custom script idea, I remember reading about it somewhere like that; create some .set with some optimization parameters configured and then run a scrip that makes MT5 test the sequence of .set. Only problem is I don't see much gain in work from doing it manually parameter group by group.

Finally, even though I'm almost certain I'm not going to use it, I'm curious about your last "N.B.": are you talking about MT5 scripts?

And thanks for the reply!

What you can do with a VBA or Python or whatever script, you can also do it with mql5. It's all what I mean.

The script approach:

1. Configure one group parameter to optimize and save the preset as a .set file.
  2. Repeat step 1 till you have as many as .set files to cover all possible parameter configurations.
  3. Create a script that will make MT5 run all the .set. 
  4. Run
  5. Collect the results data somehow (possibly requiring saving them in some CSV file since each new .set run will erase MT5's table of results. In this case, one more step is required: create the save-to-csv mechanism)
I guess I'ld die of boredom before finishing the script approach :P 

You don't get it. On the "script" approach all 5 steps can be done by code.

Henrique Vilela:

I guess it's related to the max ID it can handle because the limit depends on the CPU architecture

I don't think so, it's related to the cloud. They don't want the network flooded by billions of passes, done intentionally or not.

In the past, I opened a ticket to ask them to enable any number of passes without falling on GA when running locally. I didn't get a reply or they say no (don't remember exactly).

You make a script that run one set, wait till it finnish than run the next.

You can also run several MT5, so no need to wait.

Martin Bittencourt:

Hi,

I'm currently facing the same problem reported in the MQL4 questions here and at the end of here. Nevertheless I'll describe it in case it might help.

I have an EA I want to optimize and it has many configuration parameters, e.g.: 11 different types of stop loss strategies. Each such parameters may need one or more configuration option. For example, ATR stop loss needs not only the multiplier value, but the value of the indicator's period as well. But some of such parameters may be useless for other options. Example: the ATR stop loss needs the input on indicator period, but stop loss based on fixed distance of ticks from position start doesn't. Well I want to make "full optimization", not having to stop hundreds of times to configure the .set to the exact same situation it neededs. That, though, will create a lot of unecessary passes. For example, when testing for fix tick distance stop loss, all the many variances of the input parameter of indicator period will lead to the same exact result since this parameters is not being taking into account, leading to lost in time. That brings the big question: how to avoid unnecessary passes?

Two main ways have been proposed in my readings: use the Genetic Algorithm or validate which combination of inputs are valid and use 

in OnInit() function when the useless combination of parameters are being tested by the Optimizer.

Well I want to use the second option since I don't trust the Genetic Algorithm to do this work. Problem is that even if I select "Complete Slow Algorithm" instead of GA to do the tests, if too many cases of invalid parameters happen at the start, the GA, which entered in scene without me having asked for it, blocks further development after 512 attemps:

In my point of view, the main cause lies here:

Since I've asked to optimize lots of possible results, the GA has automatically been activated even though I strictly sad I didn't want to use it, rather trusting in my own method of parameter evaluation to speed up the optimization. 

So my question is: how can I get around this? How can I tell MT5 I don't want the GA to be used no matter what it thinks is the best for me? And if that is not possible, how can I make the GA continue to optimize even when I configured the testing in such a way many combinations of parameters are going to be invalid?

This is how I got around the issue you are having without using  INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT and potentially affecting the outcome of my Genetic backtest or by resorting to creating a set file for every possible viable combination of my input parameters and writing another program to run backtesting on each of those set files individually as previously reported as potential viable solutions to the issue at hand. 

1) separate your input parameters which you'd like to apply a kill pass to into different groups. Lets say in one of those groups you have 5 or 6 variables, each of which can have two potential inputs in one of those groups. 

2) enter each of those variables and their potential inputs in an excel column as shown below:

3) Modify and use the following excel visual basic and run it on the data you just entered to create every combination of those 5 or 6 variables.  

Sub ListAllCombinations()

'Updateby Extendoffice

Dim xDRg1, xDRg2, xDRg3, xDRg4, xDRg5, xDRg6 As Range

Dim xRg As Range

Dim xStr As String

Dim xFN1, xFN2, xFN3, xFN4, xFN5, xFN6 As Integer

Dim xSV1, xSV2, xSV3, xSV4, xSV5, xSV6 As String

Set xDRg1 = Range("A2:A3") 'First column data

Set xDRg2 = Range("B2:B3") 'Second column data

Set xDRg3 = Range("C2:C3") 'Third column data

Set xDRg4 = Range("D2:D3") 'Fourth column data

Set xDRg5 = Range("E2:E3") 'Fifth column data

Set xDRg6 = Range("F2:F3") 'Sixth column data

xStr = "-" 'Separator

Set xRg = Range("H2") 'Output cell

For xFN1 = 1 To xDRg1.Count

xSV1 = xDRg1.Item(xFN1).Text

For xFN2 = 1 To xDRg2.Count

xSV2 = xDRg2.Item(xFN2).Text

For xFN3 = 1 To xDRg3.Count

xSV3 = xDRg3.Item(xFN3).Text

For xFN4 = 1 To xDRg4.Count

xSV4 = xDRg4.Item(xFN4).Text

For xFN5 = 1 To xDRg5.Count

xSV5 = xDRg5.Item(xFN5).Text

For xFN6 = 1 To xDRg6.Count

xSV6 = xDRg6.Item(xFN6).Text

xRg.Value = xSV1 & xStr & xSV2 & xStr & xSV3 & xStr & xSV4 & xStr & xSV5 & xStr & xSV6

Set xRg = xRg.Offset(1, 0)

Next

Next

Next

Next

Next

Next

End Sub

You should have a column of all possible combinations of your variables created as shown below. 

4) Now using the Text to Columns function of your excel under Data tab, separate all the combinations into individual columns. 

5) Using If statements, apply whatever rules you want to eliminate the rows with variables you do not want to run a backtest on (I use formulas such as =If(D2>C2,1,"") on a new column next to my combination of data to place a 1 in front of every combination that is not suitable to my backtest and then using the Data/Filter show every row which has the number 1 in front of it and tehn delete those rows) 

6) Merge the columns again using & into a new column. (example,  =A2 & B2 & C2 & D2 & E2 & F2 )

7) Run Data/ Remove Duplicates to remove all the duplicates of combined variables and again separate the data into each individual columns.  

8) Introduce a new variable in metaeditor for each of your groups of codependent variables, each input of which will correspond to one of the combinations of the 5 or 6 variables in the excel sheet (For example, in my code, I named that variable AutoTrailVar as such: 

input int    AutoTrailVar = 1;  whereas case of Autovariable = 1 would correspond to the combination of my 5 or 6 variables each having a specific input value and case = 2 would correspond to the 6 variables having another set of inputs. 

9) to facilitate the metaeditor programing, I combined all the variations of the code in my excel (see column AE and how the "= G & H & I & ... has combined to write the code i would be cutting and pasting into my metaeditor below: 

10) add a function to be read on the int Oninit() as shown below: 

int OnInit()

{

//---

AdjustTrailParameters();

And the function of  AdjustTrailParameters(); in my program's case is simply a combination of cases for my single variable which has been cut and pasted into metaeditor from my excel sheet as shown above: 

void AdjustTrailParameters()

{

//---

switch(AutoTrailVar)       

{

case 1: AutoTrail_H1_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M30_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M15_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M5_After_RR=1; AutoTrail_M1_After_RR=3; break;

case 2: AutoTrail_H1_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M30_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M15_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M5_After_RR=1; AutoTrail_M1_After_RR=5; break;

case 3: AutoTrail_H1_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M30_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M15_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M5_After_RR=1; AutoTrail_M1_After_RR=6; break;

case 4: AutoTrail_H1_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M30_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M15_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M5_After_RR=1; AutoTrail_M1_After_RR=7; break;

case 5: AutoTrail_H1_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M30_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M15_After_RR=0; AutoTrail_M5_After_RR=1; AutoTrail_M1_After_RR=8; break;

11) now when I run a backtest and use different variable input for my Single input  "AutoTrailVar' (instead of 5 different inputs for each of my codependent variables), I will only have the combination  of variables which result in a meaningful backtest outcome as preselected in my excel sheet without the use of Kill pass.  

12) you can do the same for any number of codependent groups of variables within your program for which you'd like to filter out a number of passes as per the guidelines described above.

Hope that helps and good luck.