A pondering question regarding robots for sale

I am quite new to the whole Metatrader,MQL, Expertadvisors concepts. I was only intrigued by it when a forex trader/marketer alerted me to a new product he is creating (an expert advisor). Since he alerted me to this I decided to check out the whole subject because whilst I trade a system I like, I do find it hard at times when I can't be at the computer, so having the ability to automate it sounded good. I watched the first 13 or so videos by Jim Dandy, and then read the MQL4 book over several times (watching his videos first made the book far easier to understand) and was able to finally code a working expert advisor somewhat based on my trading style, albeit it a primitive working version.

I have also been quite intrigued by the sheer amount of robots being created for sale. It seems to be quite literally impossible to find anything amongst the robot market place that one could point to and say - that will suit me. 

So it begged the following question - what attracts people to any particular robot?

Is it purely the profitability vs drawdown (assuming a decent amount of data/backtesting,live testing etc), or is it something else?

If it 'is' purely the profitability vs drawdown, then why are there so many robots for sale?

In other words, if anyone can create a robot which meets certain criteria (i.e. it generates XX% per year and only ever experiences YY% as the worst drawdowns etc), then why isn't everyone using that one robot?

Why also are robots constantly being updated or improved or optimized?

The main criterias for me to select the EA (EA = robot; EA is the term; robot is newbie slang) are the following:

• do I know the seller or not (I am talking about his posts on the forum and so on);
  • am I comfortable with trading style he is proposing? Do I know anything (pros vs cons) related to what he is selling concerning the trading systems (martingale, scalping, and so on)?

If you do not know anyone (do not follow the posts made by the sellers/coders on the forum) and do not know any trading styles so it is very difficult to select EAs to buy.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

market

Sergey Golubev, 2016.08.01 06:58

one time

--------

How to buy a Trading Robot in MetaTrader Market?
The process of purchasing

Everything starts with the Activation in the Market. When you buy a product you do not actually get the product itself but the right to use it an unlimited number of times, but on a limited number of computers. This parameter is set for each paid product individually and it is disabled for free products.

After one activation you can use the product on a computer without any restrictions. You will not be able to download the copy of the product on another computer. If you installed the file manually, you will not open it either. Number of activations can be found on the page with a detailed description of the product in the column with its specifications (described above).

How to Test a Trading Robot Before Buying
Buying a trading robot on MQL5 Market has a distinct benefit over all other similar options - an automated system offered can be thoroughly tested directly in the MetaTrader 5 terminal. Before buying, an Expert Advisor can and should be carefully run in all unfavorable modes in the built-in Strategy Tester to get a complete grasp of the system, seeing that every Expert Advisor offered on MQL5 Market has a demo version available.