How much time does it take you to go from mql4 to mql5?

Been on mql4 for like 2 years, had no prior coding experience. Just finished my first EA in mql4 but the tester I've heard was faster in mql5 because of the threading or something.

How long will it take me to transition my EA into mql5 dedicating something like 2-3 hours a day to learning mql5 as I move the EA's code along to mql5? Like a month or more than a single month?

I just want to benefit from mt5's faster backtesting and the benefit of using a currently supported platform for live.

Depends on how much code you write and your current level of programming.

If you take the time and do it right then i expect about a month or two with daily practice.

By this i mean that you would have reached the level where you instantly know what to type where as well as spotting errors on the spot, if you get what i mean by that.

Marco vd Heijden:

Depends on how much code you write and your current level of programming.

If you take the time and do it right then i expect about a month or two with daily practice.

By this i mean that you would have reached the level where you instantly know what to type where, if you get what i mean by that.

Current level of programming: I understand and can operate a for loop, have worked with mutli dimensional arrays in multiple timeframes, and have worked with custom indicators and minor buffer stuff. Have coded like hundreds of these small testing type EA's and know myself around the basics enough that I can pretty much code whatever more or less simple strategy I can come up with (none of this "fuzzy logic" level computer scientist level or "pointers" level, still can't grasp the concept of a CLASS in programming).

At this level like a month you think? If so, I might do it. 

I think I know what you mean, just my same level at mql4 which is functional to code simple operational EA.

Yes but remember the 'quick solutions' that you were making and describing are quick dirty and fast, I did write, do it right with a purpose, this means no shortcuts.

It is expected in that case that you will be able to write quick robots for testing, but still will have a harder time when you would have to write one that does all the necessary checks and error reporting, one that has to meet all the requirements..

Luckily there is a lot of codebase material available that you can study to help with that so if you feel it's time then by all means go for it.

Things will get easier along the way.

Marco vd Heijden:

Yes but remember the 'quick solutions' that you were making and describing are quick dirty and fast, I did write, do it right with a purpose, this means no shortcuts.

It is expected in that case that you will be able to write quick robots for testing, but still will have a harder time when you would have to write one that does all the necessary checks and error reporting.

Luckily there is a lot of codebase material available that you can study to help with that so if you feel it's time then by all means go for it.

Things will get easier along the way.

OK Ill get paid first in MQL4 then and then graduate without needing to rush anything as I've got some severe time constraints.

You can not rush it even if you wanted to.

So that's already sorted.

My EA with about 3000 lines took several weeks to migrate. Simple one line commands in MT4 are now large functions in MT5, I developed my own API to decouple my trade logic from MT5s messy internal system. For inexperienced programmers MT5 is defo not fun at all and for experienced programmers its a huge waste of time. But there is no choice, multi currency trading and a good history database are worth the pain. If you have an API to talk to the terminal its easier to switch to cTrader or FIX at some point.

0xA0B1 FX5:
My EA with about 3000 lines took several weeks to migrate. Simple one line commands in MT4 are now large functions in MT5, I developed my own API to decouple my trade logic from MT5s messy internal system. For inexperienced programmers MT5 is defo not fun at all and for experienced programmers its a huge waste of time. But there is no choice, multi currency trading and a good history database are worth the pain. If you have an API to talk to the terminal its easier to switch to cTrader or FIX at some point.

You are lightyears beyond my level and took a  month for you = harder than anticipated