Strategy Testing

Just a general question: I'm new to trading with robots and I wanted to know if it is necessary to perform strategy testing or optimisation. Presumably all the Expert Advisors come with default settings and will work straight away? I have 4 robots running at the moment but only 3 trades have been placed so far this week. Is this usual? Presumably you can change parameters to make trading more frequent (and presumably risky)? Hope to hear from some of you.  P.N.

peternoble: Just a general question: I'm new to trading with robots and I wanted to know if it is necessary to perform strategy testing or optimisation. Presumably all the Expert Advisors come with default settings and will work straight away? I have 4 robots running at the moment but only 3 trades have been placed so far this week. Is this usual? Presumably you can change parameters to make trading more frequent (and presumably risky)? Hope to hear from some of you.  P.N.

To be on the safe side, ALWAYS assume that the robots that you use will LOSE ALL of your money. ALWAYS assume the default parameters WILL NOT work for you.

So, before going live, ALWAYS TEST, on the Strategy Tester and on Demo Accounts. Run optimisations to see what impact the different parameters have and make sure that the defaults are actually usable.

But above all, first learn how to trade manually and to fully understand how it all works. Trying to trade with robots without the necessary knowledge will end in disaster! It will be like trying to use lathe for the first time when you have no idea how it works, how to use it, how materials respond to the cutting, not knowing what speeds to use, or what tools to use or how to apply them.

Fernando Carreiro:

To be on the safe side, ALWAYS assume that the robots that you use will LOSE ALL of your money. ALWAYS assume the default parameters WILL NOT work for you.

So, before going live, ALWAYS TEST, on the Strategy Tester and on Demo Accounts. Run optimisations to see what impact the different parameters have and make sure that the defaults are actually usable.

But above all, first learn how to trade manually and to fully understand how it all works. Trying to trade with robots without the necessary knowledge will end in disaster! It will be like trying to use lathe for the first time when you have no idea how it works, how to use it, how materials respond to the cutting, not knowing what speeds to use, or what tools to use or how to apply them.

Thanks for your advice Fernando. At the moment I'm wondering if the low frequency of trading is suggesting that there is a problem with the set up. I expected that there would be a much higher frequency of trading. Could you advise on that - is it normal?

peternoble: Thanks for your advice Fernando. At the moment I'm wondering if the low frequency of trading is suggesting that there is a problem with the set up. I expected that there would be a much higher frequency of trading. Could you advise on that - is it normal?

That is impossible to say without knowing what the underlying strategies are or what effect the parameters have.

However, if these are Market products, then such matters cannot be discussed here on the forum (it is against the rules), and you will have to discuss these issues on the individual "Comments" or "Review" section of the products in question.

If they are are from the CodeBase, then they can be discussed here, but it would be better to discuss the problem on the thread dedicated to each CodeBase publication.

0k, thanks..