MetaTrader 4 Platform build 1118 - page 4

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

MT4 build 1121 - so sad

rosspet6, 2018.04.28 12:07

I think that MetaQuotes finally found a way to force people move to mt5… by making mt4 unusable…

On a demo account, I got an automatic update of mt4 to build 1121. After the update, it took about 3 mins for the terminal to open !! When opening MT4 in off-line mode (wifi turned off), it opened only 20 secs earlier (in 2:35 secs)…, so it is not slow connections or slow servers responsible for the endless opening times…

Here are my test results, done with the same mt4, same charts, same profiles, same everything:

Build 1121 opens mt4 in 3 mins; profile change is in 3 mins; changing templates of all charts (via a script) is in 2:30 mins. Build 1121 terminal.exe file size is 18’096 kB.

Build 1090 opens mt4 in 40 secs; profile change is in 20 secs; changing templates of all charts (via a script) is in 17 secs. Build 1090 terminal.exe file size is 10’971 kB.

Also, just to clarify that in "Options" my “Max bars in history” = 1000 [one thousand]; so I do not think I am overloading mt4 with excessive amounts of history data…

As per this threat https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/171257#comment_5087897, the "/skipupdate" does no longer work… I experienced this, too.

Although I am opening my mt4 using a batch file with the line “start terminal.exe /portable  /skipupdate”, it got the update automatically… I could not do anything to stop it… I also tried opening mt4 via a shortcut with added “/skipupdate” to the target field of its properties, however, yet again, it got the update automatically…

Could anybody please help me understand whether there is any way of stopping mt4 from updating?

In any case, I am becoming convinced that this is a ploy by MetaQuotes to make people move to mt5… Look at the file size difference… What is the additional code in the exe file of build 1121 that it is so much bigger? What is this additional code doing? So sad for a company to behave like this !!

I am running win10 Enterprise 64-bit, on an HP Folio 1040, Intel Core i5 5300U, CPU @ 2.30 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 5500

I said you repeatedly to use it only if you know what you are doing, which obviously is not the case.

This is a beta version, it's perfectly normal there are problems.

Philippe Pauleau:

LiveUpdate: new version 4.00 build 1121 is available

MetaTrader 4 build 1121 started (MetaQuotes Software Corp.)

I will not upgrade my live production environnement yet.

How are you planning to avoid the upgrade of any new build to your live production environment? What will you do to stop the automatic upgrade?

rosspet6:

How are you planning to avoid the upgrade of any new build to your live production environment? What will you do to stop the automatic upgrade?

Don't connect to Metaquotes-Demo server.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

MetaEditor can not produce EX4 after windows 10 update

Alain Verleyen, 2015.12.05 08:11

Yes because you connected to Metaquotes-Demo, the update is saved on your system.

Delete the content of this folder : C:\Users\[YourACCOUNT]\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\WebInstall and you will not get update anymore. (Of course if already updated it's too late).

rosspet6:

I set "webinstall" folder (the folder used by MT4 to download the update) to ReadOnly.

1121 isn't a beta, I got a terminal which is not connected to MetaQuotes-Demo updated.

I see no difference in starting time or anything. Except for first run, of course, it recompiles everything.

@Phillipe, what benefit do you have of Windows XP over 7 or 8.1?

kypa:

1121 isn't a beta, I got a terminal which is not connected to MetaQuotes-Demo updated.

I see no difference in starting time or anything. Except for first run, of course, it recompiles everything.

1121 is a beta.

Once the update is downloaded on your computer it will be applied to all your MT4 instances even if not connected to Metaquotes-Demo.

I am running multiple virtual machines using one hosted proxmox virtualisation server.

This way I am able too run multiple simultaneous MT4 backtest's optimisations (1 VM = 1 MT4 per physical core as MT4 is not using multithreading) on one unique physical server.

Windows 7 requires much more disk space (and install file size), so when you have 8 VM, this is 8 times much more to manage, copy, etc...

Also I don't have enough windows 7 licences to deploy all the virtual machines I need.

My production environnement is running Windows 2008 & Windows 2012

Have you thought about setting core affinity? Both Linux and Windows have the functionality. You can set everything except the MTs run at one core and one MT4 and nothing else per core for the other seven. No virtualisation, no CPU overhead of 8 OSes running simultanously, more reliable optimization results.

I thought so because I have two MT5 and only one that is set to MQ-Demo server updated. But it's 32 bit, the other 64, probably that is the reason the second MT5 didn't update while both MT4 updated.

kypa:

Have you thought about setting core affinity? Both Linux and Windows have the functionality. You can set everything except the MTs run at one core and one MT4 and nothing else per core for the other seven. No virtualisation, no CPU overhead of 8 OSes running simultanously, more reliable optimization results.

Of course I know you can run multiple MT under the same Windows session.

You have all the advantages and flexibility of virtualisation:

- VM full isolation

- snapshots (sure to backup all environment: EA code + indicators + parameters + profile and revert back to a previous test release)

- template deployment : I am using a template for each pair with all its history. This way when I deploy 8 VMs based on this root template, the history disk space ( approx 10 GB ) is only stored once on the physical disk (this is also improving read disk caching when running multiple optimisations)

PS: Last MT4 update was a long time ago, it can explain why this new one may experience some newly introduced issues.

I suggest to open ticket to Service Desk to submit your bugs with details. This is what I've done with previous MT4 android update that had an issue with Metaquotes ID pushed messages. In less then 48 hours, Service Desk has released another update to fix the bug.

It is often the case when you release a new version after a long time.

This is good news that Metaquotes is still delivering updates for this old good MT4 (robust enough to be still essential after 8 years).

Release Notes: MetaTrader 4
Release Notes: MetaTrader 4
  • www.metatrader4.com
MetaTrader 4 build 1080 A month ago, Microsoft released a major update of their operating system Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1703). After installing this update, some users were unable to run MQL4 programs in their terminals. This issue has been fixed in the new MetaTrader 4 platform build 1080. Now, Expert Advisors and indicators...