Strategy Tester Disk Usage

Hi everyone

I've been using the MetaTrader 5 Strategy Tester for about 2 months now and it's using over 30 GB of storage space, is this normal?

Will this go down or will it keep going up? Or do I have to manually delete it?

Thanks in advance

Matthieu Boitel:

Hi everyone

I've been using the MetaTrader 5 Strategy Tester for about 2 months now and it's using over 30 GB of storage space, is this normal?

Thanks in advance

In my experience (MT5) It wil only grow with no option to automatically delete old log files which can become rather large testing real ticks.

Matthieu Boitel: I've been using the MetaTrader 5 Strategy Tester for about 2 months now and it's using over 30 GB of storage space, is this normal?

To reclaim the space, you will have to manually delete old log files, cache files, history and tick data that you are no longer testing (in the "bases" folder), etc.

Fernando Carreiro:
To reclaim the space, you will have to manually delete old log files, cache files, history and tick data that you are no longer testing (in the "bases" folder), etc.

Why can't this be done automatically?

If I have the Strategy Tester installed on many computers I don't have access to for months it will just use all the storage space...

Matthieu Boitel: Why can't this be done automatically? If I have the Strategy Tester installed on many computers I don't have access to for months it will just use all the storage space...

MetaTrader cannot "guess" what you still need or not need!

• Maybe you still need to check those log files (or maybe not).
  • Maybe you still need the cache files to run more optmisations (or maybe not).
  • Maybe you still need the history or tick data for more testing (or maybe not).

How to you expect MetaTrader to know, so as to "automagically" clean up after you?

Yes, I agree that they could have added a few GUI dialog boxes that would allow you click a few buttons for cleaning up, but with so many other things that MetaQuotes has NOT done, I doubt this is of any priority to them at all.

Matthieu Boitel:

Why can't this be done automatically?

If I have the Strategy Tester installed on many computers I don't have access to for months it will just use all the storage space...

Maybe you confuse things. Strategy tester only accumulates data if you use it. It does not automate anything. You can install on quazillion computers, not used, no extra data.

Fernando Carreiro:

MetaTrader cannot "guess" what you still need or not need!

• Maybe you still need to check those log files (or maybe not).
  • Maybe you still need the cache files to run more optmisations (or maybe not).
  • Maybe you still need the history or tick data for more testing (or maybe not).

How to you expect MetaTrader to know, so as to "automagically" clean up after you?

Yes, I agree that they could have added a few GUI dialog boxes that would allow you click a few buttons for cleaning up, but with so many other things that MetaQuotes has NOT done, I doubt this is of any priority to them at all.

I know they cannot guess that but some folders in the bases have not been modified for 2 months, the Strategy Tester could automatically delete it when hasn't been used after a certain period of time

Maybe you expert uses the print function heavily which can result in huge log files.