How to configure a strategy to backtest

Hi all, 

I would like to backtest my strategy in MT4 but I don't know how to reconfigure the settings so that it searches for my criteria for entry and exit.  Anyone know of any videos or tips on how to configure backtesting in MT4?  Thanks for your time! 

LadyBug2:

Hi all, 

I would like to backtest my strategy in MT4 but I don't know how to reconfigure the settings so that it searches for my criteria for entry and exit.  Anyone know of any videos or tips on how to configure backtesting in MT4?  Thanks for your time! 

Backtest your strategy or backtest your EA?

Keith Watford:

Backtest your strategy or backtest your EA?

Backtest my specific technique not an EA.  I have my own criteria for entry, targets, exits, etc. and want to be able to enter that into the tester so it can run a simulation for me. Is that possible?

Thanks Sergey

LadyBug2:

Hi all, 

It is better off  to back-test your specific technique through testing your EA (so comes the Unit-test...)  

MT4's Strategy Tester only provides several basic benchmarks (such as profit factor), whereas MT5's are far better.  Intuitively speaking, the smoother the equity curve (not the balance one), the better.   Statistically and financially speaking (and in professional finance/academic field), the Sharpe ratio, which only MT5 provides, for example,  is critical.  Below, for example, is the one of my EAs that passes aforementioned winnow-process.

Yang

email: [email address was deleted by moderator]

Intuitively

LadyBug2:

Backtest my specific technique not an EA.  I have my own criteria for entry, targets, exits, etc. and want to be able to enter that into the tester so it can run a simulation for me. Is that possible?

Please, provide an example of how you define your criteria. Indicators, objects, news or something else?

LadyBug2:

I think that in order to help you we need a little more detail about your criteria.