A-B-C-D Trade - page 2

Just want of provide a link on the subject, as I just saw this today. This published author of 9 books, has 40 years trading experience and is an expert in pattern recognition. I am not promoting this gentleman nor have I ever purchased anything from him.

Gartley's AB=CD Pattern By Larry Pesavento - Traders Log

Some of his important notes in bullet point:

• The length of the C-D leg being equal to A-B occurs 40% of the time in fib extensions. This is the FE100.
    • If the retrace to C is no more than 38.2%, the likelihood of an extension increases.
      • If there is/are large candle(s) racing from C toward B, the more probability of an extension.Note: he refers to the fib extension of 1.27. I only see that potential of consistency on longer term chart trading (Swing and Position Trading), which I do not practice.

LIVE

EUR/USD vaulted to upside spurred by EU bailout budget plan of about $750 Billion.

As pair getting ready to leave the Asian session (red box), we look for our ABC pattern. Point C must confirm and we plot fib extensions.

Chart (5-min) also shows 2 ABC patterns leading up to this one.

Looks like C may possibly establish itself. Let's wait to see if it breaks B.

FE 100 is 1.3180

Point B = 1.3094

Gross Pips = 86

EDIT ----------- Move faltered and dropped to 50% retrace of A-B. Need to re-set C at next pivot.

Next fib of 61.8% below is 1.3000

We'll wait for C to establish, project FE targets, then see if move breaks B.

False breakout to downside. Broke Asian low (1.2900) but did not confirm. Look at 5-min chart. That 5-min candle that pierced through the Asian low of 1.2900 was a "hammer". I know that's outside of this lesson. Just want to say it was not a confident breach of Asian low.

Redraw fibs, using that candle's low as Point B.

A= 1.2987

B= 1.2875

C= 1.2934 Let's see if it holds. Move heading down again.

Waiting to see if it breaks B.

After breaks B........Target profit is FE 100 = 1.2822 for 53 gross pips

Check 1-min pivot for stop-loss.

Edit: If you targeted 15 pips, and entered around 1.2897.....you made money.

Edit 2 @ 13:20 GMT. Point C did not hold. Redraw if new C develops.

Edit 3 # 13:50 GMT. Point C moved to 61.8% retrace fib of 1.2943.

Headed down towards B again, now at 1.2910, so let's wait to see if it breaks B.

FE 100 Now at 1.2831 for 44 gross pips

Edit 4 @ 14:00 candle. Broke Point B waiting for confirm, now at 1.2765. In baby.

Edit 5 @14:20 GMT. Hit profit target at the FE100 price of 1.2831 + 4 pips to cover 3-pip spread and i pip cushion.

Had stop-loss above 14:04 pivot price of 1.2879 (+4 pips), after quickly moving it from previous pivot of 1.2891.

Entry price was 1.2868 at 14:02 candle.

Exit price = 1.2835

Risk = 15 pips

Profit = 33 pips

Will post chart pics later, been up all night.

Title should read ..from European session low

Set-Up on EUR/USD

A = 1.2943

B = 1.2916

C = 1.2879

FE100 = 1.2752

64 pips gross profit potential if B breaks.

It's backed off after probing to 1.2713 and now at 1.2829

Patience.

In Sell @ 12810

Only concern is with volume

Just drew fib extension off last 1-min swing and near same price for FE 100 of 1.2753.

Price now at 1.2771

Move stopped at 1.2762 and bounced.

Took some profits (2/3rd of lots)with trialing 15-point stop-loss at 1.2777

Balance exited at 1.2803 (including spread).

I had also moved my stop to break-even when it moved passed the FE 61.8

Here is pic of 1-min FE that I drew. C-D leg bounced off FE 61.8. It started gaping up.

Money management and risk aversion...used trailing stop for majority of lots. Balance manually exited when I saw that active bounce with gaps up.

Also on 5-min, a new ABCD had emerged. It's Point D was about FE 1.27. That is the number the guru had used. See recent post with link to article.

Anyway, can't complain, had nice 2 trades.

Cheers

O.K., I figured out why I was a bit surpirsed that the d leg didn't make sense with regards to where I had my take-profit.

I did not draw new ABC as per the 1st pattern on attached pic (black lines).

That had FE 100 at 1.2274 which was the neighborhood that candles closed.

Been up more than 24 hours with only about 30 minutes sleep. That's what can happen when we are tired. Time to turn computer or platform off.

The blue ABC and FE lines belong to the current pattern.

Cheers