MT4 Backtesting problem

Hi there,

I need some help with MT4 backtesting...

I downloaded/imported/converted M1 data from Apari, but the tester still don't have it on the symbol dropdown list.... any ideas?

TIA

First off, you'll need to MetaTrader from Alpari. After downloading M1, there's no need to converted. You just go to Tools menu > History. From there you find the pair and M1 timeframe then import the data by clicking Import.

Anyway, what timeframe were not shown in the dropdown list? Maybe you're looking for "ticks" instead of "M1". Please attach a screenshot.

First off, you'll need to MetaTrader from Alpari. After downloading M1, there's no need to convert. You just go to Tools menu > History. From there you find the pair and M1 timeframe then import the data by clicking Import.

Anyway, which timeframe was not shown in the dropdown list? Maybe you're looking for "ticks" instead of "M1". A screenshot will do.

scorpion:
First off, you'll need to MetaTrader from Alpari. After downloading M1, there's no need to convert. You just go to Tools menu > History. From there you find the pair and M1 timeframe then import the data by clicking Import. Anyway, which timeframe was not shown in the dropdown list? Maybe you're looking for "ticks" instead of "M1". A screenshot will do.

Thanks Scorpion for the quick reply, here are the screen shots show that I have eur/gbp m1 data in history center, but the 2nd pic shows that in tester, it's not available in the symbol dropdown list...

Thanks again for your help!

Files:
EURGBP2.jpg  130 kb
EURGBP.jpg  97 kb

There're a few reasons why the symbols are not shown.

First, you're not using MetaTrader from Alpari. If you aren't, download one from Alpari website. You can't use Alpari's data with non-alpari terminal because of timezone difference. Installing a fresh copy to new location will solve weird problems.

Second, symbols set is missing. If it is, download the attached forex.set file and save it to ..\MetaTrader 4\symbolsets\. In Market Watch window, right click any pair, go to Sets > Forex, and restart the terminal.

Third, my guess, your metatrader never goes online to update the symbols.

Happy trading!

Files:
forex.set  1 kb

Scorpion,

thank you very much for the reply, I will try it once I get home...will let you know.

Scorpion,

It worked! THanks you very much

You're welcome... nice to hear it worked.

I guess you installed a fresh copy, didn't you?

Yeah, I had 4 different versions from 4 brokers... none was from Alpari, so last night, I got one from Alpari and wa-la, it worked! now I have at least certainty to test .

Thanks again!

Hi Scorpion,

How's going? I am expriencing some sluggish/choking on Alpari MT4 and not sure what caused this, I did download all the data for all pairs which is about 2 gig.

I also noticed that, after I shutdown mt4, the memory usage at Task Magr still 300k and gradualy went away...

right now, I can't even open a usd/jpy 5M offline chart right after I reboot the pc...

someone else in StrategyBuilder forum also said he thinks it has a memeory leak problem...any ideas?

also, in one of your thread, you mentioned that you are gonna code your own grid-system, how did that go? I am asking this cuz I am a big fan of grid myself and hoping to disscuss this issue with you on a conceptual/theoritical level without giving too much details out of your system...

Thanks!