Algorithms and Trading Systems based on Chess game strategies - page 8

Ubzen:
And sorry for my ignorance. But ... Where are we suppose to find real chess pieces on a Forex chart?

Good question, this is the dream I mean ;-)

By the way, I have not told yet how we connect the points in the architecture I proposed, to provoke the brainstorming, but my target is you really play a virtual chess against the market.

Ubzen:

Well its just another brain storm. There's not guarantee that whatever chess approach is going to be profitable. Computers are still binary and therefore mechanistic. They see only true|false, yes|no, black|white. They do-not see shades of gray. We have to take our blurry thinking and communicate that with a computer. This is mostly an exercise which have to define 16 pieces of a chess game in terms of price-action.

Trying to include everything a trader might consider for the sake of profitability would deviate from the original model. <-We already do this within our everyday trading and developing.

Ok, I understand now. If the program is mechanistic, then there can be no strategy. It is "brute force".

Ubzen:

How do you define patience in terms of algorithm?

How do you define initiative in terms of algorithm?

How do you define opportunity cost in terms of algo? etc? etc? 

Very good, that's the question, from abstract concepts to real algorithms, how do you define that?

Ubzen:

How do you define patience in terms of algorithm?

How do you define initiative in terms of algorithm?

How do you define opportunity cost in terms of algo? etc? etc? 

I don't know yet. An essential step under this paradigm is showing some specific charts to people who want to participate in this experiment. We would ask them what they see, how they would behave, etc., and then we take some notes to analyze. This is something like a projective test applied to trading.

But maybe we find nothing and this debate is a bit absurd. Some time ago I read a book that said that every single trader operates differently, but all systems are valid if the trader is good.

figurelli:
Very good, that's the question, from abstract concepts to real algorithms, how do you define that?

Opportunity cost are:

1. stop losses quickly
  2. hedging
  3. etc., etc.

figurelli:

Good question, this is the dream I mean ;-)

By the way, I have not told yet how we connect the points in the architecture I proposed, to provoke the brainstorming, but my target is you really play a virtual chess against the market.

I think in the end. You have to take something which isn't really Chess and "Call it Chess". This takes a certain amount of imagination lol to say the least.

As a programmer, I think about the OOP Objects which makes up the game of Chess. The King, Queen, the Board. I think about the Method, like properties of King, like movement. I think of rules of the game like Condition of Victory || Loss || Break-Even. Once I've got this model, I then need to take something from forex which isn't a Queen and call it a Queen. Candlestick is just one example but I've got-to use something. Price? Head & Shoulder? Triangles? .... or Fundamental News releases Non-Farm, Un-Employment or Speaker. Its a matter of assigning one object to another object. 

You may decide not to use candle-sticks or any other thing I mentioned. You may come-up with your own new-objects to represent your game pieces and methods. But I'm afraid in the end its still going to look more like Forex than Chess :)

Ubzen:
And sorry for my ignorance. But ... Where are we suppose to find real chess pieces on a Forex chart?
Chess pieces are "those things able to move the market".

laplacianlab:

Opportunity cost are:

1. stop losses quickly
  2. hedging
  3. etc., etc.

You probably have to become more detailed that that.

1. I would have described patience with something along the lines of Time.

2. Oh Boy ... even I am stunned.. so I like your answer ... but I'm sure some people would dis-agree.

But that alone show why this is so difficult. :) ... humans do-not always the same things the same way.

Ubzen:

To be more precise:

Player A (The Market). Pieces are "those things able to move the market" (fundamental approach) or the chart itself (chartist approach, peaks, bottoms, flat market, etc.)

Player B (The EA anticipating the market by placing orders)

laplacianlab: Chess pieces are "those things able to move the market".
Lol. Never know the Queen might sell all the Sterling ... hehehe