Big changes for MT4, in a few weeks - page 5

This is a download link for a new metatrader 4 beta : http://forum.mql4.com/c/forum/2013/08/MetaTrader4.Beta.IDE_1.zip

Description of the beta is so far this :

Differences:
  • Changed the priority of AND/OR logical operations. Now, everything is similar to the standard C/C++
  • Introduced shortened evaluation of logical expressions. Now, when a logical expression is evaluated before reaching its end, the remaining subsequent expressions are not evaluated, like in C/C++.
  • Only integer values are now used in switch operator. Real values could have been used before
  • A dot symbol cannot be used in variable names any more. Also, '@', '$' and '?' symbols cannot be used in variable names
  • Tightened requirements for start function. Parameters could have been set in start function before. Now, all init, start, deinit, OnInit, OnStart, OnTick, OnTimer and other entry points should exactly match their signatures
  • Due to expansion of keywords, such names as short, long, float, const, virtual, input, delete, new, do, char cannot be used now
  • Now, imported dll functions cannot accept MQL string arrays as a parameter, like in MQL5
  • Introduced predefined_Period, _Symbol, _LastError, _CriticalError, _StopFlag, _Point, _Digits, _UninitReason, _RandomSeed variable names that may come into conflict with simple variables declared under the same names in existing source files
  • datetime type has become an 8-byte one, like in MQL5.

The differences are not critical and can be easily corrected in the code. In return, we access multiple MQL5 features, improved execution speed and much more strict quality control.

First impression : it has a case sensitive autocomplete (the same as metatrader 5)

It assumes that you know the exact way how a variable, function or anything is called and written and the exact letters case. As an example : if you type "ima" you will get nothing as a suggestion, while if you type "iMA" you will get possible choices. As usual the worst that they could do, they did. Don't know yet the other changes, but if they are going to be like this, not a happy period in front of us ...\

Also, if you have multiple files opened and you changed two or more files, when you press F7 it will save and compile all regardless if you want it or nor (even though it clearly states that F7 is "Compile the currently open file" and Ctrl+F7 is "Compile opened files"

If someone is working actively on coding, the recommendation at a moment is not to use that beta version (functions that are not available yet, problems with string operations, ...) Wait some time till it gets into at least so, so stable phase

No wonder that it works like metatrader 5. See the picture and the version of the editor - that is metatrader 5 editor - does that mean that we are going to be arm twisted to start using metatrader 5?

Files:
metaeditor.gif  75 kb

Does this mean all the indicators that previously worked in MT4

now become useless?

and what if we don't want to change?

WR1:
Does this mean all the indicators that previously worked in MT4

now become useless?

and what if we don't want to change?

WR1

I don't know. This is the first beta of that "new" metatrader 4 that I saw. The direction it is going in is not promising and we shall have to wait to see if they are going to make it a usable platform or not

Right now, after seeing what the beta is about, I am probably not the best man that should talk about it since the errors they had in metatrader 5 for years are now ported in metatrader 4 too and I must admit that it makes me angry so it is better that I do not comment too much about what I have found so far till they work a bit more on the whole thing and till they show us their intentions and developing direction

I think the death of MT4 already announced.

They will make the substitution gradually to MT5.

It is a way of forcing us to use MT5.

The new MT5, inherit accounting operations had MT4

Antonsan:
I think the death of MT4 already announced.

They will make the substitution gradually to MT5.

It is a way of forcing us to use MT5.

The new MT5, inherit accounting operations had MT4

Even though I am inclined to agree with you let us wait a bit more

Who knows : maybe for once we shall be pleasantly surprised

Wow, this sucks.

Changes in some data format and dll comunication, as well as using metatrader 5 editor is all showing in one direction

Not an optimist