Be allerted to the Changes in your MT4 from the 15.April on - page 2

Big Joe:
Delete just the liveupdate.exe from the directory, or copy it somewhere It works also.

If it will work the same way as in metatrader 5, then you will not be able to disable updates regardless of what you do. I asked them on metatrader 5 forum how to disable automatic update and was ignored (no answer to that question nor to the question if there will be an option to disable that "automatic update" in any version)

So, after all, it seems that they do not want us to decide what version (build) we would like to use. Since that (the simple question "There is update available, do you want to update?") is a part of any normal application in the wast world of applications, the lack of it (the question, choice and decision) is rather strange at the least

I would hate to be forced to MT5. I have given it a try and I prefer MT4 over MT5. I don't understand why they would force clients to do so and wonder how many may switch to a different platform. On the other hand MetaTrader is the most widely used platform so switching may be hard for now. Eventually this may backfire on them.

it all started when some idiot decompiled indicator "forex-sGlaz 8"!

metatrader 5 uses P-code (as metatrader 4 - just a bit changed)

It is just a matter of time when will it be decompiled too

Pava:
it all started when some idiot decompiled indicator "forex-sGlaz 8"!

It has been done already - at last EAs contest they were showing messages from EAs that clearly showed that metatrader stuff can decompile MQL4 EA. The rest is up to your imagination

mladen:
If it will work the same way as in metatrader 5, then you will not be able to disable updates regardless of what you do. I asked them on metatrader 5 forum how to disable automatic update and was ignored (no answer to that question nor to the question if there will be an option to disable that "automatic update" in any version) So, after all, it seems that they do not want us to decide what version (build) we would like to use. Since that (the simple question "There is update available, do you want to update?") is a part of any normal application in the wast world of applications, the lack of it (the question, choice and decision) is rather strange at the least

You can access the live update folder in C: appdata. Even for mt5 Just change the privileges to deny all and it won't update.

The only way as I can see that they can stop you using whatever they are disabling is to issue a new build but you"ll still be able to use the recent one with live update blocked.

philt:
You can access the live update folder in C: appdata. Even for mt5 Just change the privileges to deny all and it won't update. The only way as I can see that they can stop you using whatever they are disabling is to issue a new build but you"ll still be able to use the recent one with live update blocked.

philt

Thanks for the tip (and a solution)

What makes me sad is that we (users) are forced to use "hacking tricks" in order to have what we should have as a normal option and a choice. It probably tells more than any metatrader public statement who do they actually care for and what should we (users) expect in the future when it comes to metatrader inventions.

thia articel might clarify the situation a bit more

3rd party developer Gets Red Card as Metaquotes Re-Acts | Forex Magnates

...MetaQuotes statement below:

Last month we warned that modification of distribution packages, implementation of third-party applications, as well as decreasing security level by unconditional activation of DLL calls are forbidden:

Unfortunately, some brokers and third-party developers do not pay attention to MetaQuotes Software Corp. license agreements implementing third-party components to the terminals and modifying distribution packages.

Therefore, we have to raise this issue and recall several conditions:

paragraph 2.3 of the license agreement for MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5 client terminals

No Modifications: You will not undertake, cause, permit or authorize the modification, translation into other languages, creation of derivative works, reverse engineering, decompiling, disassembling or hacking of the MetaQuotes’ Software or any part thereof. You will also not create other software based on the MetaQuotes’ software.

subparagraph of the “Rights and Obligations of the Parties” section related to the Licensee of the license agreement for MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5 trading platforms

Not adapt, reproduce, enhance, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise modify or engage in any other similar manipulation of the System or any portion thereof without the Licensor’s express prior written approval.

We strongly oppose the inclusion of any DLL/EXE files in the client terminals, forced activation of DLL calls with changes in the program’s default settings, as well as modifying distribution packages.

We earnestly ask all our clients to withdraw from using modifications. Only conventional distributions are allowed for use.....

well - does it not mean, that all so far developed and distributed indicators and EA´s are so far "illegal" or violationg the terms of use?

From what I have read it appears that the main problem is Brokers who have violated the MetaQuotes terms of use and added extra features to the MetaQuotes package using 3rd party add ons like single click trading tools without Metaquotes approval. Hopefully this will not result in users/traders/programmers having restrictions placed upon them as far as using dlls. If the use of modified indicators and EA's and dlls from the average trader/programmer was an issue with MetaQuotes then I suspect that they would never have promoted the downloads on their own website.