Jurik TrendStrength Ea - page 9

Hi pooh123,

Last trade was not in loss. It was close at stop. Besides, as I see - it is ecn/stp settings (stop loss should be added after the trade is opened). It was not added to the last trade for some reason ... but I think - it may be "backtesting case". But ... from what I see - is it "profit stop loss"?

I am planning to forward test the latest version anyway.

Hi Mr Tools,

As always, appreciate your work. I haven't checked the codes of v2.5a yet, but from my backtest, it appears that, as mentioned by ND, with your setting, the stoplosses are all "profit stoploss", ie, the majority of the trades are closed by SL with a profit. And it appears that, the stoploss is not added unless the trade is in profit. However, in the case of the 6/19/2002 sell order, it was opened in the wrong direction against the long term trend, and was never in profit zone, hence the stoploss was never added. Opening trade in the wrong direction is nothing, just need close the trade sooner somehow.

Like the Trend Envelope Expert, this EA has nice equity growth curve during backtest (and perhaps forward test, which I already started but it's too early for me to say anything yet). I believe this EA has great potential, if only the above mentioned flaw can be fixed.

pooh123:
Hi Mr Tools,

As always, appreciate your work. I haven't checked the codes of v2.5a yet, but from my backtest, it appears that, as mentioned by ND, with your setting, the stoplosses are all "profit stoploss", ie, the majority of the trades are closed by SL with a profit. And it appears that, the stoploss is not added unless the trade is in profit. However, in the case of the 6/19/2002 sell order, it was opened in the wrong direction against the long term trend, and was never in profit zone, hence the stoploss was never added. Opening trade in the wrong direction is nothing, just need close the trade sooner somehow.

Like the Trend Envelope Expert, this EA has nice equity growth curve during backtest (and perhaps forward test, which I already started but it's too early for me to say anything yet). I believe this EA has great potential, if only the above mentioned flaw can be fixed.

Hi Pooh123,

First,Thanks for your testing and feedback. Have you tried some of the different exits, to see if they work i know that trend envelope works almost too good, think will start with higher deviation setting,as another exit maybe absolute strength at a higher timeframe, kinda like a safety net around the trade zone, in case it goes bad.

For an update, completely replaced the buy and sell routines, and upon seeing your back test reminded me needed to test the exits, so started with trend envelopes, got killed in this choppy market yesterday and so far today, and entry settings, also will probably add rsx slope as an entry, which is actually the dashed gold line, in trend strength, think it may be a little better entry.Will post the Ea once i am confident it is working correctly.

Hi Mr Tools,

I tried all settings and Exitmode=0 is the most profitable one. At 1, stopmode didn't kick in leaving an order issued in the wrong direction hanging there forever. At 2-5 the exitmode worked but trades from 10 years backtest were not profitable.

From Oct 2002 through Nov 2011 the EA opened a total of 37 orders in the wrong direction with a loss. The rest of orders were profitable. I checked the timing of those wrong orders against my KST forEA indicator on W1and found that, the indicator could filter out 34 of them (91%). Please see the attached file. Unfortunately due to the reason you and I just found out, KST on W1 cannot be built into an EA. So, would you consider adding some other long term trend indicator to this EA Jurik TrendStrength as a filter ? What about absolute strength market that was originally created for trend strength expert ? Or maybe even ma200 ?

Before an updated version is available, I'm planning to trade this EA this way: every weekend I will check the slope of KST w1 for the week just ended. And then I will restrict the order direction for this EA to allow long or short trades only, whichever is in the direction identified by KST.

Files:

Hi Pooh,

Been working on this and couple other Ea's last couple days and really not sure if i got anywhere or not, this version with exit mode = 0 seems to be able to find its take profit and stop loss except until December last year, but think there may be a big gap in my data and after reading your article on kst had already added it here is long term version and short term confirmation shew seeing the sun coming up not good , so please fwd and back test when you or anyone can and let me know.

mrtools:
Hi Pooh, Been working on this and couple other Ea's last couple days and really not sure if i got anywhere or not, this version with exit mode = 0 seems to be able to find its take profit and stop loss except until December last year, but think there may be a big gap in my data and after reading your article on kst had already added it here is long term version and short term confirmation shew seeing the sun coming up not good , so please fwd and back test when you or anyone can and let me know.

Hi MrTools,

I've been testing out the latest version that you have just posted and I'm afraid that I am still getting some errors when trying to set the trailing stop. I am getting an Alert mesaage box popping up saying either Buy/Sell trailing stop - Error 146: trade context is busy.

In the journal two error message appear as well. The first message says:

2012.02.27 12:45:00 TradeDispatcher: trade context is busy

Which is then followed by this message:

2012.02.27 12:45:00 '144821': modification of order #13016779 buy 0.10 CADCHF at 0.89469 sl: 0.89321 tp: 0.00000 -> sl: 0.89327 tp: 0.00000 failed [Trade context is busy]

I am trading the default settings except in two cases, I've set a stop loss of 30 and I've set the auto money management to false.

Peekaboo

Hi Mr Tools,

You're the man ! See what this v1.2 has done with the exception of the last two orders. I attached my test report and two setting here. The last two buy orders were issued in line with KST long term trend at the time. However, the trend soon reversed and was reflected in KST. There're some large drawdowns that one should be aware of. In reality, if I trade this EA, I will check KST on w1. If there's a change in slope I'll manually close the order, not waiting for it to be stopped out. Anyway, this is a great EA. A thank you doesn't even begin to express my appreciation for what you've done.

All the rest of orders were closed with sl, some at a profit. I haven't looked inside the codes. I wonder why those two were not closed by sl.

Also, I like v2.5a with exitmode=0 a lot. It'll be perfect that v2.5a with that setting is combined with kst on w1 with mode 9 as confirmation/filter. In my opinion, for short term trading, KST is only suitable for confirmation/filtering, not for generating signals. There're too many settings with v1.2. At what setting will this ea behave like v2.5a ,exitmode=0 with kst on w1 as confirmation ?

Files:

pooh123:
Hi Mr Tools,

You're the man ! See what this v1.2 has done with the exception of the last two orders. I attached my test report and two setting here. The last two buy orders were issued in line with KST long term trend at the time. However, the trend soon reversed and was reflected in KST. There're some large drawdowns that one should be aware of. In reality, if I trade this EA, I will check KST on w1. If there's a change in slope I'll manually close the order, not waiting for it to be stopped out. Anyway, this is a great EA. A thank you doesn't even begin to express my appreciation for what you've done.

All the rest of orders were closed with sl, some at a profit. I haven't looked inside the codes. I wonder why those two were not closed by sl.

Also, I like v2.5a with exitmode=0 a lot. It'll be perfect that v2.5a with that setting is combined with kst on w1 with mode 9 as confirmation/filter. In my opinion, for short term trading, KST is only suitable for confirmation/filtering, not for generating signals. There're too many settings with v1.2. At what setting will this ea behave like v2.5a ,exitmode=0 with kst on w1 as confirmation ?

Hi Pooh123.

About the setting of 2.5a with this 1.2 version, can't remember exactly the settings of the 2 but whatever the defaults were of 2.5 should be able to change them in 1.2 version to reflect,one thing i forgot to mention is removed Jurik Addsignal indicator, just didn't seem it was adding any value, Kst in now in its place.

peekaboo:
Hi MrTools,

I've been testing out the latest version that you have just posted and I'm afraid that I am still getting some errors when trying to set the trailing stop. I am getting an Alert mesaage box popping up saying either Buy/Sell trailing stop - Error 146: trade context is busy.

In the journal two error message appear as well. The first message says:

2012.02.27 12:45:00 TradeDispatcher: trade context is busy

Which is then followed by this message:

2012.02.27 12:45:00 '144821': modification of order #13016779 buy 0.10 CADCHF at 0.89469 sl: 0.89321 tp: 0.00000 -> sl: 0.89327 tp: 0.00000 failed [Trade context is busy]

I am trading the default settings except in two cases, I've set a stop loss of 30 and I've set the auto money management to false.

Peekaboo

Hi Peekaboo,

Those are all broker errors the alert box gets pretty annoying but think i like it better than not knowing my stop loss is not being modified, every time the alert message comes up the Ea is still trying to modify, also lf you turn messages to true then you will get messages on your chart somewhat showing what is going on, or guess you could say not going on broker wise.

Files:
tcb.gif  27 kb

mrtools:
Hi Peekaboo, Those are all broker errors the alert box gets pretty annoying but think i like it better than not knowing my stop loss is not being modified, every time the alert message comes up the Ea is still trying to modify, also lf you turn messages to true then you will get messages on your chart somewhat showing what is going on, or guess you could say not going on broker wise.

Thanks for the explanation MrTools, much appreciated.

I am having a bit of a problem right now with the setting of the stop losses on some orders. I have three orders open and after roughly an hour since the trade was opened one of the stop losses has been applied, while the other two orders have not had a stop loss applied, this despite myself specifying that i wanted a default stop loss of 30 pips. I believe that the one stop loss was applied after the order went into profit but with the other two they have not yet been in profit.

I was wondering what was going on since I thought that the stop loss would have been applied immediately after the order was placed regardless if the order was in profit or not ? As it currently stands if the two orders without a stop loss continue their losses then is it possible that they could rack up a big loss beyond my stop loss of 30 pips ?

Peekaboo