Converting EAs to MQL5 - page 2

Enforcer:
What I want to see is a reliable tester...

Ha, you can say that again.

They say mql5 will be backwards compatible with mql4... lets see if this is so

InTrance:
They say mql5 will be backwards compatible with mql4... lets see if this is so

Yeah that's what Sony said about the PS3, that it would be backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1 games.

As it turns out there are actually a lot of glitches.

The last thing we need is more complex EAs, hehe.

Does it make losing money faster too? Anyways, it's great to have all the techy stuff, but it doesn't do anyone good who have a profitable system except they have to port it to a new format. The overwhelming majority of people will continue to do simple arithmatic with MT5, and follow some mindless indicator, and make some fancy pretty display. I would be much more impressed if they had introduced some better data analysis package, monte carlo simulations or RW. A reliable backtester would be a start, hehe.

C++ logic structure? Woopeedoo...

Lots of peeps picking on the backtester - what specifically is wrong with it? After a few years of use, imo it is pretty solid. The only thing I would have a problem with is the price-data Metaquotes provide - enormous chunks of it has no resemblance to real price-action, whereas specific currencies like GBPCHF and EURCHF are mostly worthless (for instance GBPCHF has 50-100 pips difference between Close & Open of adjacent bars throughout). And Metaquotes in an effort to stop you using 3'rd party data removed the 'Recalculate' option without explanation.

This is the reason the backtester appears unreliable...

I hope the new one includes some sort of class library so we don't have to keep cut and pasting stuff into new projects. I saw the chief developer mention something called Projects and I'm hoping it will be part of it. I know, I know, we can put stuff in header files now, but it's not quite the same. It's going to be nicer to work with classes/objects, well I think anyway.

omelette:
Lots of peeps picking on the backtester - what specifically is wrong with it? After a few years of use, imo it is pretty solid. The only thing I would have a problem with is the price-data Metaquotes provide - enormous chunks of it has no resemblance to real price-action, whereas specific currencies like GBPCHF and EURCHF are mostly worthless (for instance GBPCHF has 50-100 pips difference between Close & Open of adjacent bars throughout). And Metaquotes in an effort to stop you using 3'rd party data removed the 'Recalculate' option without explanation. This is the reason the backtester appears unreliable...

Perhaps, included 5 years of reliable tick data would be great value to all testers.

I say bring it on--little-by-lttle.

That will also probably mean a lot of extra work for people proposing programming services as many people will want to convert the Eas and indicators. They can thank Metaquotes !

I wonder how much the languages will be compatible and how much rewriting will be needed.

From all the things said in that interview only one thing interesting (to developers only) : projects. But it means absolutely nothing to an average metatrader user (apart from the fact that it is probably going to be much, much easier to post compiled code than "projects" and then be drawn into endless explanation how to compile a project)

as for the rest : Classes without inheritance? No operators overload? Classes and structures without any debugger (I am not even saying a good debugger)? Come on. It is called "building the house from the roof" and always has one ending scenario