Cycle indicators - page 23

FX cycle dominator

fx_cycle_dominator.ex4

mladen:
As far as I see the one from mql5 is recording the price difference between two consecutive ticks and then calculates the rest from that data. I would not call it a velocity - more an "intrabar average price change".

It can be misleading (example : 1 tick 100 pips, 10 ticks 1 pip - average 10 pips, while in reality it was 1 pip and one extraordinary price change. Or we have 1 tick for one bar and it looks like it was that "velocity" while, in fact, the market was dead. Of course these are just some extreme examples). That is the danger of averaging the price change per ticks - tick is not a constant "measure" and can not be used instead of the time

Velocity is something else

great. thanks. that isnt the formula in the youtube video. do you think the formula in the youtube video is of any value

dagoods:
great. thanks. that isnt the formula in the youtube video. do you think the formula in the youtube video is of any value

dagoods

Almost all that they are describing in that videos can be achieved by using Fourier transform and then choosing is a dominant wave in the price

mladen:
dagoods Almost all that they are describing in that videos can be achieved by using Fourier transform and then choosing is a dominant wave in the price

hmmmmm i don't know anything about all that. but

"Energy and Amplitude

A wave caused by a disturbance with more energy has greater amplitude. Imagine dropping a small pebble into a pond of still water. Tiny ripples will move out from the disturbance in concentric circles. The ripples are low-amplitude waves with very little energy. Now imagine throwing a big boulder into the pond. Very large waves will be generated by the disturbance. These waves are high-amplitude waves and have a great deal of energy."

https://www.ck12.org/physical-science/Wave-Amplitude-in-Physical-Science/lesson/Wave-Amplitude/?referrer=featured_content

interesting as a concept.... please correct me if i'm wrong, but that is very different than a dominant cycle.

that if we could make it workable real solution could be used as the grail of trading, in theory anyway. it isn't the same as anything ive seen out there already existing. so i was wondering if anyone can invent a new indicator that utilizes longitudinal waves, perhaps even with with correlations data considered to measure the pebble or rock .......i.e pebble comes into the move THEN PLUS a rock comes in.... then you trade with the larger wave.... sounds great in my head! lol just some thoughts...maybe it sparks somebody to something good

dagoods:
hmmmmm i don't know anything about all that. but

"Energy and Amplitude

A wave caused by a disturbance with more energy has greater amplitude. Imagine dropping a small pebble into a pond of still water. Tiny ripples will move out from the disturbance in concentric circles. The ripples are low-amplitude waves with very little energy. Now imagine throwing a big boulder into the pond. Very large waves will be generated by the disturbance. These waves are high-amplitude waves and have a great deal of energy."

https://www.ck12.org/physical-science/Wave-Amplitude-in-Physical-Science/lesson/Wave-Amplitude/?referrer=featured_content

interesting as a concept.... please correct me if i'm wrong, but that is very different than a dominant cycle.

that if we could make it workable real solution could be used as the grail of trading, in theory anyway. it isn't the same as anything ive seen out there already existing. so i was wondering if anyone can invent a new indicator that utilizes longitudinal waves, perhaps even with with correlations data considered to measure the pebble or rock .......i.e pebble comes into the move THEN PLUS a rock comes in.... then you trade with the larger wave.... sounds great in my head! lol just some thoughts...maybe it sparks somebody to something good

dagoods

We are not talking about physics

We are talking about mathematical models that are breaking down a composite signals into a series of sinusoidal waves each with its own amplitude, length and phase.

Assumption that the wave (cycle) with the highest maximal amplitude is the one with the maximum "energy" and thus a dominant is one way of interpreting it (it is almost the same as saying that the longest cycle is the dominant). There are numerous methods of determining the "significance" of a cycle (or a "wave") - some explanations you can find here : https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/183790In any case, whatever method you chose, the goal is to eliminate the noise (waves with insignificant "energy") and to be able, using a cycle form as simple as sinusoid, to extrapolate something that, then could be used as a prediction.

The whole model does not "care" at all of the size of the wave or its "energy" : all it "cares" of is a set of cycles that are filtered using any of the available methods, and then reversing those remaining cycles ("waves") into a filtered past and future time series (past being a filter, and future being a simple math of adding up a series of sinusoidal waves knowing for each the phase, amplitude and the length using the detrending part of the calculation as the basis of overlaying it to the existing time series - that detrending part can be as simple as a simple line between the first and the last price of the segment we are decomposing).

The result mostly depends on the filtering model : simplifying the whole process, using low amplitude cycles for reversion will give you a "low energy" result. Using high amplitude cycles for reversion will give you a "high energy result". But all results are depending on the "composite" signal (price in our cases, since we are interested in it) and the sub-cycles that are forming such a signal

There is no such thing as "energy" in the financial time series. There is only amplitude that can resemble what is energy in physics, but we can not tell that the energy of the EURUSD dominant cycle is higher/lower than the energy of the USDJPY for example, since the two are incomparable - totally different beasts, and their amplitudes are in a completely different range of values all the time

Talking about "energy" in forex is very similar as talking about "entropy" in forex. Wrong spectacles for a wrong view

There is a guy that renamed solar wind to entropy and is leasing it monthly. And people are buying it (the stories of why the repainting is not repainting too). Entropy is a fancy word these days

TamFX:
There is a guy that renamed solar wind to entropy and is leasing it monthly. And people are buying it (the stories of why the repainting is not repainting too). Entropy is a fancy word these days

Yep think I know the same guy.

mrtools:
Yep think I know the same guy.

How the hell did he did that?

techmac:
How the hell did he did that?

It is easy to do that

What is not easy to understand is how his customers did not notice what is going on